1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router or gateway

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PVD2003, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PVD2003

PVD2003 Thread Starter

We have a small LAN at home (2 comps). i share a broadband connection with the host.obviously i can only use the internet when the internet computer is on.

How easy is it to set up a router, what is involved?? or ive been told i could use an old PC to act as a gateway instead of a router.

Is a router going to be easy to set up?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Most home based routers are pretty easy to setup. You just follow the instructions included with the router. You usually log into the router thru a web browser and some of them have wizards that will guide you thru the setup. My D-Link does.

3. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

if you have a computer and three eithernet cards, you can do this with a free distro of linux. but would be easier and use less energy to use a 50$ router

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's WAY easier to setup a router than to take an old machine and setup a software gateway. I will admit, there are some neat things you can do with a Linux gateway, but it's not nearly as easy to get going.

6. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

http://pigtail.net/LRP/

Here's the link I used to set up a Linux firewall/router. It was not that complicated. There is also a setup for a network printer server.

I am a very advanced computer user so it may have just been easy for me. Tell me what you think.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've used Linux for development of custom video display boxes, so I'm not the guy to ask if something is easy for a non-Linux user to setup. :D

A broadband router can be running literally in minutes, so it's clearly much easier for anyone to setup, even an experienced Linux user. By the time you've booted Linux, you have the router connected and running! :D:D:D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice