1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

router port not working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by aznmidude, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aznmidude

aznmidude Thread Starter

I have opened a port on my router using the directions from www.portforward.com; however recently the ports that I opened still don't work. Most recently, I was trying to clear my computer of the virtumonde virus. I'm not sure if I cleared it all, but I cleared it to the point where my computer seems to be running fairly normal. The last thing though, is that the ports that I previously had opened, aren't open. Even though I check the router by accessing the 192.168.1.1 through IE; the ports say they are enabled, but when I try using them outside, it doesn't work.

I have a linksys WRTG54 router; computer was custom built about 4-5 years ago. Internet works fine, it's just these ports that are supposed to be open that arent... Any help is appreciated!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The virus would not have changed anything on the router, so if the port forwards worked before, it's not the router assuming nothing has changed there.

Please go to ShieldsUp and run a port scan on the ports in question and post the results here in a screenshot.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to TSG, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

3. aznmidude

aznmidude Thread Starter

Here's the shieldsup shot... when i ran it on the other ports, it also said that ALL my ports were stealth... i am behind a linksys router, although I don't know if that has to do with anything...

Attached Files:

4. JohnWill

Obviously, the ports are not forwarded through the router, since they don't show up at all.

5. aznmidude

aznmidude Thread Starter

Err, why do you say that... I checked the router settings by typing in the address (192.168.1.1) and on there it is saved as having those ports forwarded. I don't understand if they aren't forwarded, why would the router keep it saved?

6. JohnWill

I have no idea, how about posting a screen shot of the router's configuration screens, and an IPCONFIG /ALL from the computer in question?

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to TSG, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

7. aznmidude

aznmidude Thread Starter

strange, when I type ipconfig in run, a window pops up for a split second before disappearing... this happens everytime i type it. as for router settings, I didn't know which page you wanted so I just posted the port forwarding page, and security page... what else is necessary?

Attached Files:

8. JohnWill

I'd like to see an IPCONFIG /ALL for the computer in question.

9. aznmidude

aznmidude Thread Starter

same thing, when i type ipconfig /all... it flashes the windows prompt screen, then closes in a split second. i don't know how else to do it.

10. JohnWill

You're not doing the IPCONFIG command correctly.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

11. aznmidude

aznmidude Thread Starter

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mclaren-f1
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.wa.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.wa.comcast.net.
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Control
    ler
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-6E-E6-45-DB
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.69.146
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 26, 2008 4:19:47 P
    M
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, September 27, 2008 4:19:47
    PM

12. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

If i were you i would reset your router to default and then redo the port forwarding. Don't forget to change the defualt user name/password and set WPA back up again. This might not fix the problem per say, but it may fix yoru problem.

13. JohnWill

Since you forwarded to 192.168.1.100 and the computer has an IP address of 192.168.1.101, it's not surprising it doesn't work. As I said, you don't actually have the ports forwarded to the computer.

14. aznmidude

aznmidude Thread Starter

thanks for the help

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice