Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Router Problem?

808 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
I have 2 PC's with Win98 connected to a router. Whenever I power both of them down and power them back up again, the router always has a problem retrieving an IP address. I think maybe the router isn't saving the settings. I always have to reset the router in order to get a connection, and I pretty much have to do this everytime I power up my PC's. Is this a router problem? ANy advice?

#2 ·
Couple of questions.
Is the router acting as a DCHP server (ie handing out IP addys)?
In your network settings on the PC's TCP/IP stack are you "obtaining an IP address automatically"?
You might try just assigning IP addys since you only have two PCs.
If your router is a DCHP server as well it should hand them out, but, since, for whatever reason, it is not, you can vote for expediency and type in some IPs.
Most people will jump up and down that you don't need to do this, whereas I'm coming from the "just get it working" viewpoint.

#3 ·
I dont think the PC's are the ones with the problems. I think its the router connecting to my cable modem. When my router doesn't connect, on the configuration page the WAN IP shows "connecting". However, once I hit reset on the router, a WAN IP shows up and the connection is cool. Yes my router is set up as DHCP and my PCs are set at dynamic. I've already called ATT and they said its a router issue. Connection works fine if its straight PC to modem. I dont think messing with the IPs on teh PC's would do anything will it?

#5 ·
No. It doesn't sound like a IP addressing problem now.
Do you use PPPOE (maybe too many ppps!)? It sounds like when the PCs are powered down, the router drops out after a time. Then, when the PCs power up and send a request, it fails to link up.
Is there a configuration option for connect on demand?
The only time I've experienced many drops was when I left the above option unchecked. Then I'd have to go into the config, where it would say connected but was not, disconnect then reconnect. If that didn't work (which was occasionally) then I'd have to reset the whole blasted setup.
Oh, and one other time but that was a failing WAP router.

You probably don't, but if you could lay your hands on somebody's working router and swap yours out for an hour or two, it would cut down your variables quite a bit.

#6 ·
It would be very helpful to know if you are running PPPoE or TCP/IP to the cable modem. Is this a DOCSIS compatible cable modem? It also helps when you mention brands and models of the equipment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.