1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by degroat, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. degroat

degroat Thread Starter

I've got a really simple wireless home network set up...

High speed cable internet comes in to the modem and then it goes into my wireless router (NetGear MR814v2). I had this same setup at my previous home with DSL and everything worked fine, but I'm having trouble getting it to work now.

Let's get a couple things out of the way...

1. When I plug a cable up to my computer directly from the modem, I get connected just fine.

2. I can log in to my router through a browser and I can ping it using the wireless connection.

Obviously, something is preventing the internet connection from getting through the router. I originally thought that my internet service was a dynamic one, but after running a utility within the router to see what kind of connection is present, it said that I had a static address. So, I used ipconfig and even released and renwed a few times to make sure it didn't change (and it didn't). So then I configured the router for a static IP address and I still get nothing. The only change was that now inside the router when I do a router status it shows the IP that I entered where before it wasn't getting assigned one.

But, I still can't get access to the internet, regardess of whether I use a cable between my laptop and the router or simply use the wireless capabilities.

2. squidboy

squidboy

Hmm..

Knowing nothing else (that's a loaded statement :) I would say you do not have a static IP. Nearly all broadband providers are DHCP unless you pay ($) for a static address. Release/renew is good troubleshooting but demonstrates you are DHCP. The fact that you get the same IP address is because of how DHCP leasing works, not because you have a static address.

So, you connected directly to the modem and are fine (also good troubleshooting). The issue appears to be in configuring your router.

I would do two things: 1) contact your ISP and ask if they require mac address cloning or authentication. 2) Go through the setup CD that came with your router and specify DHCP and mac address cloning (if #1 proves correct).

But then, if in your conversation with your ISP you *truely* have a static address then it's a slightly different issue. Let us know.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Reset your router to factory defaults. Your DSL connection was most likely PPPoE with an account name/password. Most cable accounts are DOCSIS cable modems with DHCP and no login.

4. kevbrem

kevbrem

I had a similar problem when I was setting up my router. It turned out that I had not used the correct values for the VPI and VCI in the WAN configuration. These values can be provided from your ISP.

5. degroat

degroat Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, guys. It ended up being an issue with the mac address.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice