1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RKMole, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RKMole

RKMole Thread Starter

Hi-We are having problems with our wireless connection. We have a wireless speedstream ss2623 and have had it for a while and it now won't find an ip address so we have no internet connection wirelessly. Now we have connection through our motorola modem. I have done the prower recycling but to no avail. What can I do to test our router and see if it's broken? All the led's are working.
    Thank you.
    Karen

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Does it work with a wired connection? That would be one easy test.

Next, is this one wireless machine, or more than one that can't connect? If it's only one, can you try it somewhere else (assuming a laptop)? If it's more than one that can't connect, then it's more likely to be the router.

Have you installed any new wireless phones? Do you have any neighbors that have a wireless network?

3. RKMole

RKMole Thread Starter

We have 4 pc's on our network. The one I'm on now in the basement is the server. We've had this up and working fine until now. We have one neighbor who has a wireless network but we've disabled , but it sometimes does interfere but not much and refreshing a couple of times works to reconnect.
    Sorry but I don't understand how to do the test you suggested. How exactly should I do the power recycling with the router? Should I push the reset button before or after I restart it?
    Thanks.

4. JohnWill

I'd like to start with answers to some of the questions.

I didn't actually mention power cycling the router, but I do that by unplugging it for 15-20 seconds.

Do you have more than one wireless machine? Do they all have problems connecting? Have you tested at least one of the non-working machines on a different wireless network?

5. RKMole

RKMole Thread Starter

Hi John-
    My husband did the test you suggested - it was failure so we bought a new Belkin wireless router and it's much stronger and better.
    Thank you for your time and help.

6. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice