1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MichaelKing, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MichaelKing

MichaelKing Thread Starter

For a while I was using my router to get online which was set up as follows:
    Cable modem to router and router to Computer NIC (Connection was hardwired)
    -Cable modem=Motorola 5220
    -Wireless Router=Belkin F5D7234-4-BC-v1
    -NIC=3 COM Etherlink XL 10/100 PCI

Every once in a while when I would visit certain web sites and make numerous request (Such as clinking on a link), the internet would stop responding and I would have to sit and wait for about 5mins before the connection refreshed itself. During this wait I received no errors of any kind and plus I was able to ping web sites using their host names and IP address's. I tried fixing the TCP/IP Stack, Win sock Fix, and Flushing DNS, but none of those worked. So what I did was remove the router from the equation and connected the modem directly to the computers NIC, and since then I have not been kicked offline. Can anyone tell me exactly what was going on and how to possibly fix it?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How long have you been using that router? On all the time, or what percentage of the typical day?

I'm thinking it may be getting fatigued and wants to retire.

Make sure you have the latest firmware; then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it. That often revives a flaky router at least for a while.

3. MichaelKing

When I try to update the firmware either through the router itself or manually, I receive an error message telling me that the update could not complete successfully.

The router was supplied when I subscribed to Insight, and the box was still sealed.

4. warrior19

warrior19

Never been a fan of Belkin. Might be time to invest?

5. MichaelKing

I believe you are right. I've always had a lot of luck with Linksys.

6. warrior19

warrior19

Same here Linksys or Netgear mostly good. All company's make the odd disaster though!!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice