1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nicshow, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nicshow

nicshow Thread Starter

We have cable internet service by Mediacom. When they installed it they put a Netgear CG814WGv2 wireless router on. Aside from having to change its ISP address in order to match a network printer, I've had no problem with it. Recently, it began to start dropping the wireless signal - it still showed but no data was flowing wirelessly. I found that if I changed the channel of the wireless signal in the router settings, it would work for anywhere from 2 mins to a few hours. And so I just keep repeating the process - changing the channel starts the signal working again.

So, I ordered a refurbished CG814WGv2 from Ebay. I backed up the settings on the 1st router and then restored those same settings to the new router but I can't get the new router to work. I will exchange it hopefully.

Any idea what's going on with the original router that won't maintain a signal but is so easily reset?
    Any idea if I need to do something different to the replacement router?
    Any other alternatives in terms of just installing a brand new, modern router? - I don't see many new routers that have the cable connecter on the back for the cable connection.

Thanks,

Nic

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The Netgear CG814WGv2 is a (cable) modem/router combo. You are right, there are a good many (A)DSL modem/router combos, but not many for the cable side. Considering how much Mediacom charges for a modem rental I don't think I even want to know what they charge for a modem/router. :(

If it were me I would have already bought a modem (I've always had Motorola except for about a week renting a piece of junk from Mediacom) and a router, returned their unit and made sure it was removed from my bill.

Make sure you have the latest firmware. Then reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

If you have a computer running Windows ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

3. nicshow

nicshow Thread Starter

I've downloaded Xirrus onto my laptop and will send a screenshot tomorrow.

So all I would need to do to replace the cable modem/router is buy a standalone modem and wireless router? I might choose to go that way. Any brand/model you might recommend? We are a church and so there is not a heavy demand or usage on the wifi.

Thanks so much for your help!

Nic

4. MorbidSteve

MorbidSteve

nicshow,

I am curious to see what your wireless survey looks like. The problem you describe could be from an over saturated area. This is a bit more of a problem than what is usually seen, but you could be jumping over another signal (with him jumping back over you again and again).

802.11G has only 3 non-overlapping channels, and because of that it's quite possible that you're receiving a lot of interference from people around you if you're in a pretty densely populated area. That's why 802.11n should be beneficial to people in a densely populated area since it uses both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz frequency ranges.

Before you buy anything please show the network scan in your area. Also, in my experience, I have always gone with a cable modem/router combination manufactured by Motorola. SBG6580.

I know this is pretty expensive, but it has done me well.

5. nicshow

nicshow Thread Starter

The only other dynamic that may be in question here is that I added a wireless extender to extend the wireless signal. Is it possible that could be somehow conflicting?

Nic

6. MorbidSteve

MorbidSteve

What make/model is it?

7. nicshow

nicshow Thread Starter

Belkin-N300 Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender-F9K1111

8. MorbidSteve

MorbidSteve

Okay. Are you having problems while you're in the range space of the extender or within range of your wireless router, or both? If you don't know, try testing to see.

So you'll need to unplug the range extender, see how good your service is (I'm not saying how FAR you can go from the router, but how the service is when you have a strong signal 75% or better). If you are good to go with just the wireless router, you now know that it's something to do with your extender.

If you are still having issues, this will let you know you're having troubles with your wireless router.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Some people, as MorbidSteve posted, prefer the modem/router combos. I prefer separate units on the theory that it is easier to troubleshoot some problems and I'd rather have to replace only one of the units when there is a failure.

My only experience with modems is Motorola (two) and have been satisfied with the performance and with technical support the one time I called. For routers I think that D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, TRENDnet and ZyXel are pretty similar. Belkin's working routers also belong in that list, but they seem to have a greater percentage of units with problems (maybe less quality control?). I haven't bought any in a few years, so can't recommend any particular models.

10. nicshow

nicshow Thread Starter

Screenshot attached!

Attached Files:

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That signal strength is varying enough to be worrisome. Could be a problem with your wireless adapter or its driver or could be a router problem.

As MorbidSteve posted, experiment with the Belkin off to make sure there is no interference or confusion there.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice