1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bhath19, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bhath19

bhath19 Thread Starter

My g/f hooked up her computer and three others to a Belkin router about a month ago. A few days into it the connection would drop all the time and if you reset the router it would work again. So I tried switching around computers on different ports and even entered the DNS addresses instead of "Automatically From ISP". None of these have worked. One thing is that there are two PCs on the router and one Mac. Would this have anything to do with the problem? Any ideas?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Did you check Belkins site for any Firmware upgrades.

3. Justice1

Justice1

Several other items you may want to check:
    1. I would connect to the router and check it's stats on each interface for errors. Also check for any log entries for indications of what may go down/when/why.
    2. Possible duplex mismatch between your router's ints and your PCs' NICs, but not likely due to the number of computers involved.
    3. Power problems for the router?
    4. Last and not very likely, but this problem has the same symptoms as Cisco DSL routers had two years ago when the Code Red virus came out. There was a built in http server, enabled by default, which had to be shut off.

4. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

A few ideas to think about. The next time you lose the connection look at the WAN link indicator light on the modem, I had this problem once it was because the cable modem was defective and it would intermittently lose the signal from the cable company, it was just coincidence that rebooting the router would make it work again.
    Also check that the power cords are good and are plugged in firmly. I have experienced a power cord that was brand new but if you moved it slightly it would short out causing annoying random spontaneous rebooting.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

One other possibility to consider. Starting in the middle of last week, the Verisign mess has apparently tied the Internet DNS resolution in knots, I've been having DNS issues with various sites ever since that happened.

6. smooth26

smooth26

yeah try to call belkin for any firmware upgrades coz it might be a software issue or a hardware.before trying to upgrade the firmware though,you might want to contact belkin first because they might not recommend to do so.

7. telepro21

telepro21

One other thing, many home routers include an option to drop the WAN connection after a certain time of inactivity. Check your router setup screens to see if this exists and set the choice to maintain connection.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167004

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice