1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router Problems!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qpqpzmzm, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

I just bought a D-Link DI-604 4 PORT Ethernet Broadband Router.

Following the instructions I am supposed to

1.0 - Click Start
    2.0 - then Run
    3.0 - Type "winipcfg"
    4.0 - then OK
    5.0 - Then select my Network interface card by clicking on the down arrow.
    6.0 - Then click "Release All"

My problem comes at 5.0. The instruction manual shows that in the dialogue box I should see a "D-Link" option which I select before hitting "Release All" and I do not. I only have 4 options in my drop down menu which are:

- PPP adaptor
    - AOL Adaptor
    - NTS PPPoE Adaptor
    - The PCI Ethernet Lan Adaptor

It appears my machine is not identifying the Router(??? maybe).

So I am not completing this stage. The next thing it calls for is for me to click "Renew All" and that I should see an IP address of 192.168.0.x and click OK but my IP addresses are not responding.

My system is Windows 98.
    I am using a Sympatico High Speed DSL line

My Sympatico cannot initialize as long as it goes through the ROuter and I needed to take the Router off in order to send this.

Here is the web link to the instruction manual and if you scroll down to "quick installation guide" you will see exactly what I am trying to follow.

http://support.dlink.ca/ProductView.asp?ProdID=213

Any help is appreciated!

thx.

QP.

2. active95

active95

You need to choose the PCI Ethernet LAN Adaptor ( thats what # 5 is telling you ). In your network properties will not see the router. It's like a "server" ..hence will not be seen in your Network properties.
    Then since you have a PPoE connection you will need to go into the router via web page ( since i'm too lazy at this time at nite :D, check the manual and see how to aceess the router and made the changes for PPoE. You'll need to input your user name and password since you don't a true DSL connection. Well you do , but the ISP requires you to "log on". Hence you need to make the router "log on".)
    Once you have those set up, go ahead and restart the computer and should be up and running.
    Remember to start the router first ( as in turn it on ) before you start your windoze 98 machine. The router acts like a "server" and the windoze 98 machine will take all the info needed to surf the net from the router. If you turn the win98 machine before turning on the router, then all those steps would be need it.

3. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

thx for the help. You got me past stage 1 which was great so thx again.

However...

- I spent the rest of the day on the phone with both Dlink tech support and Sympatico support and we finally got my home computer back on line but since that computer worked fine at home before adding the Router I am now only back to EVEN with one working computer and a Router.

MY NEW PROBLEM...

- when it came time to try and get my laptop from the office (my second computer and the reason the router is needed) on line it absolutely refused to recognize that it even has a network cable plugged into it. The Router would not light up and the computer showed no connection.

I tried to go from "Start" "run" "ipconfig/release" but it respond the media cable could was not connected.

I checked the cable and it works fine.

When I contacted DLink support they had me go into
    - "network connection and Dial Up"
    - "Properties"
    - "Local Area Connection"
    - "config"
    - "advanced"

and change the Link Speed to "Duplex 10Mbps/Half Duplex"

We did this rebooted and the Network cable light on the Router now shows the light on (so good news it knows it is there) but the computer still shows "no network cable identified". The Dlink support guy says that most likely means an incompatibility between my laptop and the Router which cannot be fixed and I might have to try a different Router or different type.

Tell me it aint so? After Hours and hours of getting the first computer on line I now have to take the Router back and TRY a new one which may do the same thing after I get one computer hooked up at great pains to myself??

ANy Help...suggestions are appreciated.

My second computer is running Windows 2000/NT and was running fine on our office network this morning before I got it home.

IS there an easier way for me to use two computers at home off of the One Sympatico high speed account? Am I going about this the right way??? Do I even need a router?

ANY and ALL help is appreciated.

4. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

bump.

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

I would hope not...

Do you know if the laptop is setup for DHCP or does it have a static IP address ?

Also click on start - run - in the run box type in CMD hit enter - and at the prompt type in ipconfig /all and hit enter and post the results back here...

6. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

thx for the help!

1.0 - Not sure. How can I tell?

2.0 - Results:

Win 2000 IP Config

Host Name............................: David
    Primary DNS Suffix .................:
    Mode Type............................: Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled..................: No
    Wins Proxy Enabled.................: No

ETHERNET ADAPTOR - LOCAL AREA CONNECTION
    - Media State.......................: Cable Disconnected
    - Description.........................: Intial Pro/100 VE Network Connection
    - Physical Address..................: 00-00-39-C5-40-3C

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Hmmm...

Go to Local Network Connection - Properties - click on TCP/IP - Properties button, is it set for Static or obtain a address automatically ?

I see no reason to have to force a 10Mbps/Half Duplex mode connection, unless something is wrong with the drivers for the network card...

8. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

Its on "obtain" and TCHP is "enabled".

The Dlink support person had me set it to Half Duplex mode saying it might "force" it. When it did not he then suggested that it might be a compatibility problem and I might need to buy a new or different type of Router or a new Network card.

I can tell you I have no problem pluggin this laptop in to the office network and it is just here at home that I do.

If I do have to take the Router back is the Router the best way to cheaply network two computers together to share one DSL line??

I will be away from the computer for about 4 hours but look forward to your reply.

thx.

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Yes a router is the best way...

Still...have you tried a different port on the router ?

10. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

Yes, Port 1 works on the home computer so I tried port 1 to the Laptop and it did not make a difference, unfortunately.

(now I am really gone)

thx

11. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok...sorry I really don't know what else to try...

IMHO I so far haven't had any problems with Linksys routers as far as compatibility issues, if you want to try one of those...

12. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

I do appreciate your help.

Do you think I should wait and see if anyone else on the board has any ideas or just return the Router? (The answer of course is dependant on how well you feel you know routers and problems like this).

I would hate to go get another router only to have the same problem and I am trying to go cheap because it is only the two computers I am using.

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

By all means please do :D...

Thought of a few more suggestions, if the network card is a PCMCIA card, try powering down the laptop, remove it and reinsert it...

Also click on start - run - in the run box type in cmd hit enter - at the prompt type in ping 127.0.0.1 hit enter and see if you get any replies what this does is ping the local loop back of the card, to see if it is working ( might try it before you remove the card )...

14. active95

active95

Let's try and take a look at the network connection.
    First go ahead and click the start button , then choose RUN. In the RUN box type
    cmd
    and press OK button
    In the new "DOS" window that shows up , go ahead and type this
    ping 127.0.0.1
    (make sure you press the space bar once , before you type ping and after you type the 127.0.0.1)
    Press Enter key
    Should see 4 lines saying.. "reply from....
    replay from
    reply from
    Ping statistics from 127.0.0.1

If you don't see that. there's a problem with the network card or the driver.
    If you see those line.. move on to .
    In Control panel open the Network connections and then right click on the LocalAreaConnection icon and choose properties.
    New window cames up. Should see under " Connect using: " the name of your network card. For example purpoise let's say you'll see "Netgear". Under that will see a Configure radio button. Click on it once and new window will show up
    In that window should see 4 tabs ( general , advanced, driver resources)
    Click on the tab called "Advanced"
    Should see ( under Property) couple of entries. One of them is the "connection type".
    Click on it and look on the right side under Value. Right now you should see" Half Duplex". Instead of that choose AUTO. Click ok and OK then might need to restart.
    If the problem is solved , great. If not. Go ahead and repeat the step and change from AUTO , to "Hardware default" . Still no go , then try Full Duplex 10T or try Full Duplex 100.
    Also while you are in the "Local Area Connection Properties" window , go ahead and double click on the Internet Protocol.
    In the new window that will came up called " Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) go ahead and make sure that under the GENERAL TAB the " obtain an IP address automatically " and " Obtain DNS server address automatically" are selected. Then click on the ADVANCED button and in the new window that cames up called "Advanced TCP/IP Settings" click on the WINS tab. Make sure that the " enable LMHOSTS lookup" checkbox is marked.
    Also try a different port in the back of the router. For instance. port 2 or 3. Also are you sure that the cable which you are using to connect to the router is good? It's possible that it's not. So if you have a chance ( for instance , use the cable that goes to the desktop PC instead).
    When you use the laptop at the office do you have to make any modification? For instance Internet Explorer using a proxy. Basically what i'm trying to find out is this.
    Did someone setup the laptop for you to use it at work , or did you just plug in the network and "away we go"?. Possible that there are some network settings specific to the office network which prevent the use of the router.
    So try those and post back.
    HTH

15. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

1.0 I would need a step by step to do this as I have never taken one apar before.

2.0 see my response in next post where this is covered.

Thx

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice