1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

router problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gurutech, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

I've posted about this before, but I've done a little upgrading, and plan on some more upgrading shortly - Here's the new setup:

Westell 327W DSL Modem - connects to internet; WAN IP is x.x.x.x, local IP is 192.168.1.x
    Vonage RTP300 Modem - Uplinked to DSL modem Port 1; WAN IP is 192.168.1.20, local IP is 192.168.15.1
    Linksys WRT54GL - Uplinked to Vonage router port 1; WAN IP 192.168.15.100; local IP 192.168.0.1
    I have a 24-port (unmanaged) router that is "uplinked" to the Vonage router, and a couple PC's connected to this router.

I have a server connected to the Linksys router. I have DHCP turned off from the Linksys router, as the server is providing IP's on the 192.68.0.x subnet.

The problem I am having at this time is the pc's that are connected to the Linksys are getting their IP from the server, and they can access the server, and the internet. The pc's that are connected to the 24-port router are getting their IP address from the Vonage router, (192.168.15.x), and can get onto the internet, but cannot access the server.

If I set the Linksys router to uplink to the 24-port router, it will get it's IP from the Vonage router, as it does now, but all that does is free up a port on the vonage router.

My future plans are to get a NetGear Firewall/VPN and uplink that to the DSL modem, and then have everything else uplinked to the Firewall, using the Linksys router as an access point.

I have tried making the Linksys run as an access point, but apparently I am configuring it wrong. On the Advanced settings page, I set it to "Router" mode, instead of "Gateway", and I use port 1 to "uplink" instead of the WAN port, but I run into the same issues as above.

Any ideas?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What's the make/model of the 24 port router?

3. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

4. JohnWill

Actually, it's just a network switch, not a router. ;)

I'd bridge the Comcast modem/router and turn it into a plain modem, connect the Vonage box to the modem. Then put the second router in the DMZ of the Vonage box, and finally connect the 24 port switch to the secondary router. This allows you to only have all the network with a single subnet. If you feel the need to have the server hand out the DHCP addresses, that's easy to do by disabling DHCP on the secondary router. OTOH, I think I'd let the router be the DHCP server and just setup the server on a fixed address outside the range of the router's DHCP pool.

This lashup allows you to have port forwarding controlled only by the secondary router if any incoming ports are necessary.

5. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

That's actually what I spent all weekend doing - minus the DMZ stuff. I don't recall seeing any DMZ info available on the Vonage router, but I will check again.

Now my config is as follows:

DSL Modem <---uplink <----- Vonage Router <----- uplink <----- Linksys
    ..........................................................................................^ ...^
    ......................................................................................... |.....|
    ..................................................................................Server.....24-port SWITCH
    ...................................................................................................^
    ...................................................................................................|
    ...................................................................................................other PC's, etc...

Still leaves me with 3 subnets, but I actually increased my network bandwidth (not sure how).

6. JohnWill

I have the Motorola VT1005V VoIP adapter, and there certainly is a provision for DMZ in that one. I'd be very surprised it it's not in all of them, since forwarding ports is a very common issue with sticking the VoIP box in front of the network.

At least now all your computers are on one subnet, so the only issue is port forwarding if you can't find the DMZ in the Vonage box.

I used this [HBB1] Broadband Booster for my VoIP before I got Verizon FiOS, and I was able to put the Vonage adapter on one of the router ports using it and have good quality voice. My current router has QoS capability, so it handles the Vonage traffic just fine. Of course, it might be the vastly improved throughput in both directions that helps, I can't say. In any case, this box might be an option to consider to remove the Vonage box from the daisy chain. :)

7. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

For $60, that's not bad! I'm gonna have to wait on it for a while though, I'm getting a Netgear firewall/vpn adapter in the next couple weeks, so my new config will be:

DSL <-- Uplink <-- Firewall <-- Uplink <-- Vonage and Linksys to different ports on firewall <-- 24-port switch <-- my computers

This will put my DSL modem on one subnet, the Firewall on another, then the Linksys and Vonage on the same subnet, and my port forwarding can be configured at the firewall level (hopefully)

8. JohnWill

Looks reasonable. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice