1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by blando89, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blando89

blando89 Thread Starter

Hi i just moved down to baltimore from NY i live with my cousin down here when i lived with my rents up in NY they had time warner cable and my wireless router Linskys router worked fine i pop the CD in do the step and there i go i have internet to both computers. Now im down at Baltimore and my router wont connect i did the CD says doesnt see connection to the internet service provider or somthing my cousin uses the Verizon DSL for internet. How can i fix this so my router will work so my computer will have internet and give off signal for the laptop so i can hook up to the internet and i forgotttt how to set a password on the router so if u connect to it from a laptop u have to use a password so that no one uses my internet. If anyone can help Thank you very much

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Start by telling us the make/model of the modem you're trying to connect to. Many Verizon "modems" are really modem/router combos, and your Linksys and the Verizon router are probably on the same subnet. This will prevent your router from working in it's default configuration with that "modem".

3. blando89

blando89 Thread Starter

ok i will check that when i get home right now at class i think its just a modem tho i dont know my cousin gf cant connect to the internet by her laptop so i wanted to hook up the router so she can use that cuz i came home last night i was downloading stuff she took the darn modem and hooked it up downstairs to her laptop i was like ummmm i had stuff downloading that i needed haha but i will check the modem when i get home and let u kno its a smalll box tho its not like my time warner cable one at home in NY i miss that i think it was better.

4. blando89

blando89 Thread Starter

ok the modem number says on the modem says 6100 and crap i looked on the bottom i think it says router if im looking at it right lol so what do u do then? if it is a router and i want my router hooked up so that his girlfriend can use the internet for her laptop instead of taking the damn modem like again today ive been waiting for things to download and i come home and the internet is gone and never get done

5. JohnWill

There's your problem, the 6100 is a modem/router and uses the same subnet as the Linksys base address. The easy way will probably be to leave the 6100 configuration alone, since it's working, and configure the Linksys as follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

6. blando89

blando89 Thread Starter

ok ill try this out im not really good with computers right yet taking classes for this stuff but do i mess with the router from verizon or just my Linskys router because i dnt kno how to chnage anything on that router i kno to change my router u have to go liek to the internet type that ip address and opens u to the lynskys config right?

7. blando89

blando89 Thread Starter

i went onto the DSL config i foudn somthing sayin start IP 192.168.15 End 192.168.1.47 DHCP 1:0:0:0 now is this the DHCP all this? or am i looking at somthing different? and on the modem there is just DSL USB and Ethernet ports on that just letting u kno trying to give as much detail to make it easier for you

8. blando89

blando89 Thread Starter

And there was two parts like you can click on Private LAN or Public Lan and each page it takes u like Public LAN has Publice LAN DHCP server enable with a box not checked, Public LAN enable thats also not checked then gives u public LAN IP and Subnet mask. for private has the same but there boxes are checked then also has private LAN DHCP settings like start end and release time i think im seeing what u mean i think but want to make sure before i go off and do it

9. blando89

blando89 Thread Starter

the IP address of my network is 192.168.1.1 i tried seeing if i could get it see if i knew what u were talking about but i dont know i went into my second router turned off the DCHP i dont know what to set the IP address for the second router

10. JohnWill

Note that my procedure SPECIFICALLY says you do all the configuration on the secondary router, you make no changes to the primary router. Don't change the configuration of the primary router.

11. blando89

blando89 Thread Starter

i havnt changed anything on the primary router just trying to figure what to change my secondary router to like th IP i was just letting u kno whats on the primary router

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice