Router Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Fabienne

Hi

Quick question.

My biggest weakness is routers/networking.

I have 4 PC's in my home. Two are back to back and I plan on hardwiring them to the Router. The third is on another floor and the fourth is a laptop that travels around the house.

I would like to have the third PC wireless... as is the laptop of course.

I want this router: Router on newegg.com

How do I use this router and have the laptop and other desktop connect wirelessly?

Thanks

DoubleHelix

Banned
You can't connect anything wirelessly to that router. It doesn't have wireless capabilities.

Fabienne

Well I am a gamer and I want to get a better router and ethernet card (I have the old 10/100 and would like to upgrade to the new 10/100/1000) and the PC that is on another floor gets a weak signal.

I have no problems getting a wireless router... I just want to find one a bit more high end so I can get a faster/smoother connection to my PC.
My other question is.. how can I boost the signal for the PC on the other floor? Its an older PC and has AGP slots. Most of the new network cards are PCI/PCI-E

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You're putting a lot of effort into the router selection, you might consider shopping for a computer that will actually play the games properly. :)

BTW, the router you selected should certainly do the trick, but you'll need a matching 802.11n (draft) adapter for full speed wireless connections to it.

Fabienne

I think my PC runs games just fine... its the internet connection I am looking to boost.

My PC:

PNY GeForce 8800 GTS 320mb video card
Samsung Spinpoint 400gb 7200 RPM Sata 3.0gb Hard Drive
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ
GSkill 2GB DDR2
Creative Sound blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer 7.1 channel sound card
EVGA Nvidia nforce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Windows XP Pro
OCZ Game Xstream 700w PSU
Sony Optiarc 18x DVD-R/DVD Burner
Linksys 10/100 mbps Ethernet card (want to change this too)
-all in an Antec 900 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower case with a bajillion fans ;)

Now I am not saying that its state of the art... but its more than plenty to run World of Warcraft and games like that.

My internet connection shows at 54mbps and I am just trying to get better for my PC which is wired to the router and a better connection for the PC on the other floor.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you really want good gaming performance, run a wire. Wireless links will never do as well as a plain CAT5e cable. :)

DoubleHelix

Banned
I don't believe a network adapter ever went into an AGP slot. That's a video card slot.

I agree with JohnWill about running wired networking for gaming.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online