1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router Question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Fabienne, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fabienne

Fabienne Thread Starter

Hi

Quick question.

My biggest weakness is routers/networking.

I have 4 PC's in my home. Two are back to back and I plan on hardwiring them to the Router. The third is on another floor and the fourth is a laptop that travels around the house.

I would like to have the third PC wireless... as is the laptop of course.

I want this router: Router on newegg.com

How do I use this router and have the laptop and other desktop connect wirelessly?

Thanks

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can't connect anything wirelessly to that router. It doesn't have wireless capabilities.

3. Fabienne

Fabienne Thread Starter

ACK! thats what I thought.

: (

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is there a reason you don't want to buy a wireless router?

5. Fabienne

Fabienne Thread Starter

Well I am a gamer and I want to get a better router and ethernet card (I have the old 10/100 and would like to upgrade to the new 10/100/1000) and the PC that is on another floor gets a weak signal.

I have no problems getting a wireless router... I just want to find one a bit more high end so I can get a faster/smoother connection to my PC.
    My other question is.. how can I boost the signal for the PC on the other floor? Its an older PC and has AGP slots. Most of the new network cards are PCI/PCI-E

6. Fabienne

Fabienne Thread Starter

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're putting a lot of effort into the router selection, you might consider shopping for a computer that will actually play the games properly. :)

BTW, the router you selected should certainly do the trick, but you'll need a matching 802.11n (draft) adapter for full speed wireless connections to it.

8. Fabienne

Fabienne Thread Starter

I think my PC runs games just fine... its the internet connection I am looking to boost.

My PC:

PNY GeForce 8800 GTS 320mb video card
    Samsung Spinpoint 400gb 7200 RPM Sata 3.0gb Hard Drive
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ
    GSkill 2GB DDR2
    Creative Sound blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer 7.1 channel sound card
    EVGA Nvidia nforce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
    Windows XP Pro
    OCZ Game Xstream 700w PSU
    Sony Optiarc 18x DVD-R/DVD Burner
    Linksys 10/100 mbps Ethernet card (want to change this too)
    -all in an Antec 900 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower case with a bajillion fans ;)

Now I am not saying that its state of the art... but its more than plenty to run World of Warcraft and games like that.

My internet connection shows at 54mbps and I am just trying to get better for my PC which is wired to the router and a better connection for the PC on the other floor.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you really want good gaming performance, run a wire. Wireless links will never do as well as a plain CAT5e cable. :)

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't believe a network adapter ever went into an AGP slot. That's a video card slot.

I agree with JohnWill about running wired networking for gaming.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice