1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router randomly disconnects me for a few seconds

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Zimitra, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zimitra

Zimitra Thread Starter

Hey, I have a Zyxel 5D124A0 and it runs very well, most of the time..

I'm currently setup with a modem > router > wifi/cable(makes no matter, same issue).
    If I use the cable straight from the modem into my PC, there are absolutely no issues. Working perfectly.

Alright, so to my issue. If I play any games on my PC/PS3, I will suddenly lose my connection for a second or two. Not long enough for me to disconnect from the game. But rather, what should have occured during that time, will just fly by in a split second. This happens, maybe, 2-4 times per hour. I haven't changed much more than the password in the router since i bought it about 3 months ago.

Should add that I have a 100/100 fiber connection from Telia, and I drop like 2-3mbit/s from using the router, compared to going straight from the modem.

My laptop is a MSI GT683DXR, bought 10 months ago.

My modem is a XG6745

I haven't had the option of trying my laptop elsewhere, but several friends has had the same issue as me from my router when we've had lans.

Any suggestions?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. Zimitra

Zimitra Thread Starter

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i dont think that is a modem - its a switch
    AND says in the spec sheet
    1 Ethernet port for WAN 1 Ethernet port to connect ADSL/VDSL modem, Cable modem,
    FTTH, etc for wide area network.

so where does the cable connected to the WAN goto ?

5. Zimitra

Zimitra Thread Starter

Wall > modem(switch?) > 1 cable to the TV, 1 to the router > router cable/wifi into PC

6. Zimitra

Zimitra Thread Starter

A friend told me to try limiting my bandwidth through the router, and I set it to 50/50mbit/s. It's a bit more stable now, still having the drops but they dont even last for 0.5 seconds anymore. But I'm only getting roughtly 25/14mbit/s from a speedtest. Without router i'm around 88/73mbit/s.

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it maybe worth re-installing the router firmware

8. Zimitra

Zimitra Thread Starter

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice