1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router reboots by itself

Discussion in 'Networking' started by aedivia, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aedivia

aedivia Thread Starter

Awhile back I bought a new computer for playing games online. (upgraded version of this : http://www.komplett.no/k/ci.aspx?sku=10274 )

I bought it without a a windows installation because i already had a copy of vista 64 cd which I installed when I got the computer. Then I realized vista couldnt handle the amount of ram my computer had or support some of the other new hardware, so i went online and purchased a copy on Windows 7 for 600dollars and digitally downloaded it from a non microsoft site, as it turned out after I installed it the cd validation key was not included in the purchase sadly so I was running it as trial version for 30 days.

Anyhow, at some point (and it has been going on for awhile) my router reboots quite frequently when I am online playing games such as Civilization 5 , world of warcraft and CoD on this computer. Sometimes it can reboot up to 3-4 times an hour if I'm really unlucky! When I'm not playing games and just surfing the web it is rare the router restarts, and while I sleep I keep my computer online and it dont reboot at all.

So it is basically when I play online games this occurs the most. However! If I play games online on my laptop or playstation 3 the router -never- reboots, so it's obvious the problem is not the router itself since it works with my ps3 and laptop but not my stationary gaming computer.

I have not a clue what is wrong please help me..

here is a log from my router right after it restarts : http://i54.tinypic.com/dfhkj8.png

It is a SpeedTouch 780 (0736JTG9C) wireless router, but I use a cable and turned on the WLAN setting.

2. geek117

geek117

Well, the first step in trying to resolve this issue would be to update the firmware. Have you tried this yet?

3. aedivia

aedivia Thread Starter

how do i do this? i dont know that great deal about computers im afraid

4. geek117

geek117

Do you know the manufacturer's website?

5. aedivia

aedivia Thread Starter

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    off topic.. how come you spent $600 on Windows 7? you can get Windows 7 64bit Ultimate for $175...

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You MUST MAKE SURE ITS THE RIGHT ONE... simply trying the firmware may make that modem/router dead in the water.

8. aedivia

aedivia Thread Starter

Then i should not try install any of these since i dont know which is the correct one.

600dollar was a typo, meant 100 dollar. Reason I bought from that non microsoft site is because I saw on the american microsoft site that win 7 cost around 100'ish dollars, but i couldnt buy it because im located in europe, so i went to the european microsoft site and there the same win 7 version cost triple amount, couldnt afford that at the time.

so i found a non microsoft site that sold for 100dollars, sadly it didnt say anything about validation key not being included in the sale until after i had bought it.

so now im sitting here using a win 7 version where i get popups saying im not using a geniune windows version and might be a victim of counterfeiting all the time :(

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have a pirated version of Windows and you have no idea how much malware or bad code was included. You've clearly stated that there is no problem per se with the router or other devices using it. The only problem is when you try to do something with your stolen software. Buy a genuine legitimate Windows OS or get a free Linux distribution. We do not help with pirated software. Closing.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice