1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

router repair

Discussion in 'Networking' started by networkingbummer, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. networkingbummer

networkingbummer Thread Starter

alrighty, hello tech guys! I am hoping that you can walk me through a complete remove and repair of my networking and internet share.

always worked fine on cable, moved to where I can only have dsl and has never just let us surf freely. First it was network cable unplugged, the limited or no connectivity. Now, i cannot get anywhere. We have a d-link 604e and two computers in the house.

I have xp sp2 and p3.

I have searched and tried everything I can read and find and I think now I need to start over, let me know what you think please? I do have a laptop running wireless so I can work and contact.

Thanks and I hope to cross this off my "To Do" list forever! It has been months and years. :confused: ttyl! :)

Diane

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Just reset the router. If you still have a problem, I'd suspect the ISP or their modem rather than anything with your equipment.

3. networkingbummer

More thought??

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't know what you mean by "programming". Resetting the router removes all configuration settings. You're starting over. If you're having the same problems, the router probably isn't the problem especially if this only started happening immediately after you switched ISPs. Call them about it.

5. networkingbummer

I can connect directly and when I reset the router it does not clear settings, maybe I am resetting incorrectly? I have been in cmd and been messing around following all the other posts.... I thought maybe there was a little more to it

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's a physical button on the router. I can't find specific documentation for your a "DLink 604e". Maybe someone else will have some luck.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm a little picky on terminology. A router "reset" means push the recessed reset button; it's pretty much the same as a power cycle. "Reset to factory defaults" does what DoubleHelix is talking about, and requires (usually) holding the reset button for 10 to 20 seconds. Or, most times, either of these operations can be initiated on the router's configuration pages.

8. networkingbummer

Good Morning, Thanks for trying Helix. Terry, Yes I am pushing the recessed button, I just went down and did it again this morning. Let's watch together...booting up now woo hoo..........info cleared now let's see, i have just put in my WAN info or should I release or renew dchp? I see that here too....................I hope someone is up.....Terry, i wasn't holding the reset long enough....thanks for the time limit, that finally got me going again.....anyone up and on here?????

9. networkingbummer

ok, that got rid of the limited or no?? connectivity, but still no internet. Any thoughts? I am going to wait and see what you might have to say before I go messing around

10. networkingbummer

a;righty, now, i powered my modem and router and i am back to limited or no connectivity
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr

why oh why?

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have a cable ISP, and this procedure doesn't get you a wired connection, the router is probably broken.

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on. The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems. If you require PPPoE configuration for the DSL modem, that will have to be configured to match the ISP requirements.

• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

12. networkingbummer

Hello John, I am connected now, but the second computer is saying a network cable unplugged, every 1/2 minute or so, here is what config/ all got me........... if you want me to reboot everybody again I will

Thanks for your time

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig
    Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MUCHSUCCESS
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel 8255x-based PCI Ethernet Adapt
    er (10/100)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-F4-A2-32-E6
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, September 28, 2008 10:52:16
    AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, October 05, 2008 10:52:16 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, that looks normal, it that the one that's saying something is unplugged?

14. networkingbummer

no, i can go and do it there, I was wondering if that was the issue, that i have programmed the router from both? Also, why is there a lease expiry, possibly that is why things went wacky in the morning? I am on my computer right now, (the one jumping we will call "the other")and I am not seeing it jump on and off? wondering what the heck i have done. Any thoughts or steps? Thanks again

15. networkingbummer

firewalls maybe, i have mcaffee and maybe defender is running too, never got to that yet since installing macaffee

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice