1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router require a second password

Discussion in 'Networking' started by manuel1992, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. manuel1992

manuel1992 Thread Starter

Let me explain: I have a "Thomson TG585 v7" router I reset it and the default username is "user" and password is "admin". So after the restart I want to configure again the router so I click the "Set Up" option I click "Next" and then show me to enter again the username and password but they are not the same as the router username and password. What can I do? Please help.

2. bill222

bill222

If you google your router name as I did, you should find several entries related to it. I did not spend a lot of time looking, but the first place I looked suggested the there is a different user/password by default than the "user+admin" that you used. It might be faster for you to find the answer that way than waiting for someone who happens to know about that particular router to stumble on this question.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  4. manuel1992

@bill222 I have tried every username and password possible but nothing worked.
    @etaf I open browser and on adress bar I type 192.168.1.1 to access the router and from here I do the options like I said on the top. The manual does not say nothin for the password. I have reset it many times
    Guys I noticed something on the top I have "Logged in as user" the is no "Administrator". How can it be possible?? Here are some screenshots.
    See the user:
    [​IMG]

Here I press the "Set Up" option
    [​IMG]

This is what I see when I press the setup option after I press Next:
    [​IMG]

This is what I see when I press next:
    [​IMG]

I think that when I reset the router It does not make a full reset but a partcial. Is there any method to do a full reset?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know about that router, but in general when routers have an "admin" and a "user" login the "user" is for read only and the "admin" is for making any changes. If the manual doesn't specify defaults try "admin" for the User Name and null (blank) for the Password.

6. manuel1992

yes, there is an option to change account I tried there to put on username admin and leave password blank plus I tried to put other words like Admnistrator, Admin, default..... but nothing worked

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Page 53 of the User Guide for which Wayne gave a link. Do a reset to factory defaults.

8. manuel1992

@TerryNet I have done that but I found another thing on page 53 "Your system administrator may have disabled the physical reset button of the Thomson
    Gateway. In this case, a hardware reset to defaults is not possible."

is this really possible?

<edited by moderator>

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have edited your post - this is a family friendly site - so please avoid language and three letter abbreviation as inappropriate

sounds like they have made these settings

so who supplied the device the ISP , if so contact the ISP and see what they have to say

you have tried
    Default is Username = adminstrator or Adminstrator ; Password is blank - empty
    seems to be the common user and password on a google search for that device
    http://forums.modem-help.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1090&start=3

10. manuel1992

sorry

I tried every password on the forum but no one worked I tried either the serial number and Modem Access Code but nothing.

So I bought this router $50 and if I want to change ISP I can't use this router and I have to buy another router??????? this is steal.

Is there any method to reset it completely maybe open it or something like that?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you bought it new then nobody set the reset button to not work. It must be defective, so get it replaced or a refund of your money.

12. manuel1992

no, I bought it from my ISP

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    and have you talked to them to see a) what the password maybe and b) if locked reset

post #9

14. manuel1992

okay, I will talk to them, the reset button does not delete the Administrator password

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice