1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router security

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sec25, May 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sec25

sec25 Thread Starter

Hi. :)

I could really use your help..

I'm trying to make sure I have a clean connection.(a clean eth) and I need to get it done really soon.

I have a new laptop and a new router.
    My Q is:

If I don;t have a different network and share a router with someone at home, is there anyway of making the shared router and my laptop secure from other devices also using said router?

A guest option could be a solution? I have read sth about giving a different wifi pass to guests(or my brother :p) than the one you use. Can this possibly work for a connection via cable to the router also(for devices that aren;t mine and could possibly be infected), not just wifi? To make a guest option on my router for both wifi and cable connection to router from devices I don;t personally use. By this guest option I would separate myself from other devices I dont use(brother;s etc)?

If not possible, can I have two routers on the same network(same IP address?) And would that work to keep my router and laptop secure or does sharing the same network impose a security risk anyways?

Also, someone mentioned I should use a VPN.. would this solve the issue of sharing a router with other devices that are possibly infected and could infect me?
    I think it would make sure I have a clean network as someone could still have tampered with my connection somehow, even if I change router and laptop, but for the router itself and my new PC's security, would it cover me completely?

I really need to get this done. Speedy and complete answers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are only concerned about an accident just use a firewall (the one built-in to Windows) or run a Linux distribution.

If you have bigger concerns you could daisy-chain a second router and connect your device(es) to that. That way the second router is protecting your LAN from the first router's LAN the same way a router usually protects a LAN from the internet.

3. sec25

sec25 Thread Starter

Thank you!

So, doing what you said keeps my devices and router safe from other devices on the other router it is daisy-chained to?
    Does it matter if the other router is infected?(I could reset it...)

Is it hard to daisy chain?

Also, doing the router thing and changing my PC, is that enough to ensure complete safety? What other vulnerabilities are there? What could have someone done to still keep tabs?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, of course it does.

No. Connect an ethernet cable between the WAN port of the second router to a LAN port of the first router. Make sure the routers are using different LAN IP subnets.

"Complete safety"? What's that? :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209886

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice