1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Router sees USB Fash Drive, PC Doesn't

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Robbie711, Sep 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robbie711

Robbie711 Thread Starter

Linksys EA7500 router with two USB ports (3.0 and 2.0). SSD card on USB 3.0 port and Flash drive on USB 2.0 port.

For over a year, PC could see both devices. (Win 10, 1709)

Rebooted router and PC. Router External Storage screen still shows both devices, but PC cannot see device on USB 2.0 port. (PC sees USB 3.0 port.)
    External Storage screen capture

USB 3.0 device mapped to S, but Map Network Drive won't let me access router's external storage.
    Map Network Drive dialog
    SSD on USB 3.0 port mapped to S:

Tried different devices on 2.0 port and experimented with NTFS and FAT32. Each variation seen on router, but not PC.

No router firmware update, no changes to router settings, no Win10 updates.

Network problem? I'm baffled. Any ideas very welcome.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you sure that the PC has not upgraded to Windows 10 1803? If it has then it would likely have disabled SMBv1 support. Even if it hasn't updated beyond 1709 they did start disabling it 170-9 as well I think, check to see in Windows Features( under Programs and Features) if SMBv1 support is checked or not.

You can also update the firmware to the latest version but I don't think Linksys has added SMBv2 support, unless they did it quietly.

3. Robbie711

Robbie711 Thread Starter

Every SMB setting is checked.
    https://steve711.tinytake.com/sf/Mjk2MTc2OV84ODg4MTg1

Definately 1709 build 16299.125, 2018-09 updated yesterday.

I'm beginning to wonder if something in Network settings is incorrect (and I feel like a rank novice). As I was typing this, I started playing around and found "Add Network Location." In that dialog, I was able to add a shortcut to the router drive I wasn't able to access:
    upload_2018-10-1_11-0-52.png

I can access the drive now, but only as a shortcut. I can't figure out why I'm unable to map it.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I never use browse, or network discovery which may be off on your PC, just do it manually.

Go to Start and then to the search or Run box and type \\192.168.1.1 and press enter. You should get a window with the two shared folders, open then one you want to map and copy it's full path, paste that into your Map Folder dialog.

5. Robbie711

Robbie711 Thread Starter

You get the grand prize -- this worked. Thanks VERY much for taking the time to do it -- and for figuring it out!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice