1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

router set up problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by murrieta123, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. murrieta123

murrieta123 Thread Starter

Dlink router model DI-604
    have a Scientific Atlantic Modem with USB and Ethernet connections
    I am running Windows ME on a HP Pavilion Pentium III

I got xbox live for christmas and haven't used it once due to this stinking problem

USB from PC to Modem is the only way i can connect to the internet right now because my ethernet card won't work and my router doesn't support USB connections.

My ethernet card came with my computer but I never used it. It won't work.
    I need to re-install it but don't have the cd. I tried to re-install the driver but it didn't work. I am doing something wrong.

I don't know what to do! Help please.
    If you have advice please email me at:
    [email protected]

2. coulterp

coulterp

Can you not replace the ethernet card in the PC? (laptop, desktop?) If it's a PCI card in a desktop such cards cost about £5-8£ (probably more or less the same in dollars!).

Sounds like an oldish PC so not much active support any more I guess. But the HP site might still offer support details and installation software.

Just theorising here as I have never tried this, but in principle I cannot see why it would not work ...
    There are USB to Ethernet adaptors (eg http://www.directusbstore.co.uk/cnb...&op=catalogue-products-null&prodCategoryID=24 about half-way down the page, or http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-usb-ethernet-2996.html); looks like this would cost about $15-$20.

Plug the adaptor into your PC USB port.
    Plug the Scientific Atlantic Modem Ethernet connection to the Dlink router WAN (internet) port.
    Plug a LAN port on the Dlink to the Ethernet port on the USB to Ethernet adaptor.
    Plug the Xbox to thr Dlink router (assuming you have ethernet on the Xbox).

3. ratchet

ratchet

Wekcome to TSG.

I hate to start with questions but...

What Operating System are you running?

What does Device Manager show? Any yellow question marks?

What is the Model # of your Pavillion?

Did you look for Drivers at HP Software & Driver downloads ?

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Running Windows ME ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice