1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

router setup - no prob...how to setup the windows ctrl pnl

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jbirdie, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbirdie

jbirdie Thread Starter

i can setup my d-link 604 wired router with no probs...but after i have done that then i need to do something in the windows control panel under the network connections icon. i have no clue what to do there to complete the final step in networking my 2 machines. some nfo: 2 new machines with ethernet cards. one is xp home and the other is xp pro. all i want to do is make those 2 machines use the same cable connection...i dont want ics or print/file sharing. i have been told to set up the router then power cycle the devices and magically the 2 machines will begin working. but i refuse to fall into that lame trap. i do format approx every 3-4 months so i will need to know how to do this so i can recover from that activity. each machine has a network connection from its previous service - do i delete this - do i create a new one -must i disable/delete/leave alone original connection icon ??? these are the many questions that i have and i have googled this and can not find any nfo as to what to do, on the windows side, after the router is setup. help, i have been trying to figure this out for approx 2 months and my hardware will be obsolete before i get it, so i appeal for help, mahalo and aloha.

2. blin

blin

not sure the issue. but posting the result of the ipconfig /all on both computer may help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/383611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice