Router Speed Problem?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Thompson99

So i've always had my second router plugged into my gateway without a problem (my old speeds were 50 down and 10 up) but today I upgraded and got a new gateway with new speeds 250 down 20 up, when plugging in my second router (Asus RT-AC56U) I can only get up to 90 mb down, why is this? does anyone know a solution? When I plug straight into my gateway I get my full speeds (even better at 350 down, 25 up) but on the Asus I only get 90 down so if anyone knows anything I could try that would be great. Thanks for the help in advance!

TerryNet

Terry
I assume that the Asus has a gigabit WAN port. If I am wrong, that is the choke point.

The ethernet cable between the routers may not have gigabit capability. Remember that 10/100 Mbps ethernet works with four wires but gigabit requires all eight wires working and wired correctly.

If both routers are using the same LAN subnet often the second router does not have internet access. However, it is possible that the second router will have internet access but much slower than it should have.

Last edited:

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I think it actually gets deeper than that. Just because a device (especially a firewall device) has a port of a certain speed doesn't necessarily mean the firewall is capable of forwarding packets at line rate. There is a significant amount of processing done internally in the router/firewall. That's why in Enterprise class specs for firewalls, they mention the throughput specific to when various services are turned on.

Case in point. My SonicWall TZ400W has these ratings:

SPI 1.3Gbps
Full DPI 300 Mbps
Application Inspection 900 Mbps
IPS 900 Mbps
Anti-malware 300 Mbps
SSL Inspection and Decryption 100 Mbps
VPN 900 Mbps

The hardware specs for the TZ400W show it having a quad core 800 Mhz processor with 1 Gig of memory. So as you can see, even though the TZ400W has 7 GigE ports, depending on what you're asking the firewall to do you can get a low as 100 Mbps of throughput.

So in my opinion, the router in question is just hitting its performance limit due to the higher speed of the ISP circuit.

Last edited:

Triple6

Rob
That's a pretty fast router so I'm surprised on a simple speed test it can't do faster speeds for the WAN. Update it to the latest firmware, I think they might only be listing the latest firmware as I thought it had some older versions: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC56U/HelpDesk_Download/
Also try a different network cable between it and the gateway. Also check that the gateway device isn't incorrectly setting the port speed to 100Mbps when the Asus is connected.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online