1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router splitting and ports

Discussion in 'Networking' started by weed0monkey, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weed0monkey

weed0monkey Thread Starter

alright, this is my situation,

I have a basic computer software/hardware understanding. I need to boost my connection speed to the internet via methods directly relating to the router. I get around 1-4 mps at this current time which is hardly effective for gaming, which is why i need the boost. I know depending on my location and the amount of people downloading on the same internet plan effects speeds, to improve my connection (because my computer/xboxs are currently wireless). I would like to hard wire them, however my router is about 6m away. So i have two options, i can either keep going with what i'v got or i can hard wire them by buying about 4 ethernet cables that are 6-7m long, one cable for a spare. The problems i am think that could possibly happen is that either over the large distance of the cables the strength will die out or i will eventually need more than 4 cables and my router only has a max of 4. So what my other question was is that would a ethernet switch be more effective seeing as i would only need 1 cable, but i was thinking that an ethernet switch with four cables would completely slow down my connection speed as the data is eventually running on one cable after the switch. Also do you have any other ideas/suggestions on improving connection speeds specifically for gaming (as i said i get 2-4mbs and on American servers get a ping of about 300-1000). One last thing, if anyone knows about netgear router, specifically the netgear dgn 2200 router, is there a way to specify one ip over all others, so essentially giving my computer/xboxs priority over other connected devices (i have already forwarded my ports not that it seems to be doing much)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you connect a PC by cable to the router now - what sort of speeds to do you get

try www.speedtest.net a few times throughout the day
    ALSO make sure nothing is connected to the router and the PC is not downloading any updates or other info

the ethernet speed will probably be 100mbps or even 1Gbps - depending on the router

so for simplicity, even if the speed was distributed evenly between the 4 cables thats still 25Mbps BUT your internet speed is only a max of 4mbps - so your internet speed will almost always be the bottle neck and not the cable

you may even be able to use powerline adapters (which use the electrical wiring) rather than run cables - the speed would then be dependant on the quality of your electrical wiring.

You can use a HUB and just run 1 wire - speed already discussed above

What speed to do you get on average when directly connected by cable to the router

Are you currently using a wireless connection ?

use www.speedtest.net and also www.pingtest.net and carry out tests and different times of day

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Also note that you can run Ethernet cables up to 100 meters, so 6 meters is next to nothing.

How fast is the internet service from your provider? Is it around 4 Mbps or should be it much faster? Have you done a test with everything off except with one device plugged in? A good test would be using one PC and test the speed, then testing or checking the ping on the Xbox with it being plugged directly into the router with everything off as well. The point is to determine if the issues are with the wireless connection, or the router you have, or the internet service you have.

4. weed0monkey

I am currently connected to wireless, usually when i get poor connection speeds (0-1 mbps) the router has been turned on for a while and there are other people connected. When this happens i restart my router and my connection speed goes up to about (3-4mbps) but only just enough so that i can actually connect to servers without being kicked straight away (on the PC). I need to do this for my xbox as well but usually i can connect at any time whether or not i have restarted the router does not really effect it, however i think it may be the fact that i have port forwarded the xbox 360 and xbox One ports, that is why my connection is usually ok for online on the xbox. I'm 80% sure that my connection speed in this area is meant to be around 20-30 mbps however i think the average is around 10mbps. At the moment i can't really try a speed test at the moment, but i know that when i'm on wireless, speedtest.org says that i get around 1-3 mbps. I have moved the router and plugged in my computer wired into the router and i can easily connect to servers at that point. The problem is how am i meant to get Ethernet cables to my room? run them through the walls? whats a cheap and easy method i can do this? the only was i can see is to run them through the ground but i don't think everybody else in my house will be happy with me drilling a hole in the wall as they don't really understand the importance of connection speeds. hahaha. I can't use the power wires in my house either, again that's pretty much off limits. What i REALLY need is a way to tell my router to give priority connection to other connect devices, so pretty much my computer and other devices i would use would have priority over everything else.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may just have a failing router in that case, what is the model of the router you have and how old is it?

6. weed0monkey

it's fairly new, Netgear DGN 2200 router

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. weed0monkey

well i didn't really monitor my router connection speeds or actually have a desktop computer back then so i'm not sure, what i think the problem is, is that my wi-fi connection is effecting the speed and the amount of other connected devices is also effecting the speed. When i'm connected wired i know that my connection is way better, the only thing left is to find out a way to give my connection priority over other connected devices.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The router does have Quality of Service(QoS) but on most home routers it barely works. You could refer to the router manual on how to set it up.

But if you intend to wire your devices then why even worry about wireless?

Also, why can't you use power line devices? They simply plug into a wall outlet, you don't touch the actual electrical wires in the walls.

Or you could fix the wireless connectivity; a good router has very little issue with handling several devices. Just be sure there is no interference in the area from other wireless networks or use the better 5Ghz channels.

You honestly need to do some proper testing to see the results of going wired or to see if you have a device or devices on your network that are causing the slow down. Have you considered that you may have something running on a computer that is taking up all the bandwidth or affecting overall router performance?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1125027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice