1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router suggestion needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Plucesiar, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Plucesiar

Plucesiar Thread Starter

Okay I'm not sure if this should go into the Networking Forum or this, but oh well

Okay right now I'm using a 3com Home Ethernet Gateway, and it's sooo old that it's line of models has been stopped and I can't even find this model on their website now. It's been working fine until recently I keep on getting periodic timeouts. At first I thought it was Shaw (my cable ISP) but they checked and said there's not any problems on their side. Anyways, can I get some suggestions on good brands and models of routers to get? I'm planning it for family use of max 4 computers, and I want it to also be able to establish a print server as we're gonna be sharing 1 or 2 printers with it. Prefer it to be easy to install, configure, has an internal firewall (I'm guessing most do), and of course, not too expensive. Thanks

2. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

Are you sure the gateway is giving you the troubles & not 1 of the PC's connected to it ?
    What type of internet connection do you have eg. ADSL , cable , dial-up etc ?

I can't give you tips on what brands but almost all of um have firewall capabilities.

I believe a router cannot function as a print server , print servers usually need buffer memory in the order of 2 or higher amounts of Megs but if you can find 1 , buy it.
    You can buy printers , ad on cards or interfaces that can function as a print server on your LAN.
    Almost all Windows versions can share a printer for LAN connected to them with USB , paralel port etc.
    Sharing means that the PC to whom the printer is connected has to be turned on for the printer to be available on your LAN.

Pew hope I didn't make it to confusing :p & long live the spell checker , couldn't do without :D

3. Plucesiar

Plucesiar Thread Starter

Nope, atm there's only 1 PC connected to it, and I mentioned before my service is cable. And about the print server thing, my router is functioning as a print server right now. The reason I want a router to have the print server function is because of the sharing reason, I don't want to leave any computer on just because another one needs to print. Sorry if my wording wasn't a bit clear about the sharing, I meant for all the computers to have access to the printers.

Any suggestions? I heard many ppl use Linksys routers, are those any good?

4. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

Me bad :p learning every day :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice