1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

router to campus connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nicx25, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicx25

nicx25 Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I have a linksys wireless router don't know the number though. I know how to use this router, and I got everything setup, but I can't view other peoples connections in my dorm room, only mine. The other thing that I wan't to do, is to be able to plug my xbox into the router and be able to access the campus network to play halo. Currently I have to unplug the router with my computer on it and then plug the xbox into the wall where the router was. I know that there is a way to do this. I don't know what settings to use though. It is currently set to gateway, do I need it to be on router mode? I tried putting it in that mode once, but it doesn't work, and then it won't even recognise anything or connect to the net. If someone could tell me how to set this up, I would appreciate it, so I don't have to go buy a hub.

Thanks,
    Nick

2. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Yeah... Cuz your router is doing NATing... Placing you on a different network than the people in your dorm... Thus you can't see them on the network.

There are a few possibilities for making this work. Some depend on how the campus net is setup.

You should be able to make this work with a hub... Or if you can set the linksys to act like a hub...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice