1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router to Ethernet to router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MagicMoogle, Jul 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MagicMoogle

MagicMoogle Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

For the longest time I've had trouble getting decent connectivity to my summerhouse at the bottom of my garden. The range of my wifi router (UK, ISP Virgin Media 300mbps) does not extend that far, and so i have tried everything from wifi extenders, to power line adapters, then I thought of going simple and straightforward and just getting a huge 50 metre ethernet cable, plugging into my router and trailing it through the house and the garden, all the way to my laptop in the summerhouse.

This setup works perfectly, doesn't appear to be any loss whatsoever, and for the laptop I'm perfectly happy. The problem is, being that it's an Ethernet, I can only ever connect one device to it, and no mobile devices or anything that requires wifi-only connectivity like a games console or smart TV.

My question is, could I install a secondary router in my summerhouse, to provide A wifi signal to the structure? So in effect the setup would be going from the original ISP router, through 50m of ethernet, to a secondary router. Unless I'm mistaken I don't think this would result in any significant loss or latency, because the hard wired connection I'm getting is like the ISP router was right next to me. I've seen that you can buy routers online, but these seem to be designed for modems that do not have any wireless capabilities.

Many thanks in advance for your help everyone!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You didn't mention anything about grounding precautions so I think we don't really want to get involved with this. Too much risk, say, from a lightning strike.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You can use a wireless access point/router in there but I agree with Terry, you would want to make sure that Ethernet cable is safe before trying anything.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice