1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router to Modem Connection.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Pavlov8136, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pavlov8136

Pavlov8136 Thread Starter

For work I was given a modem, which they wanted me to hook up directly to my home internet. However, I live in a town home and do not have direct access to it. Instead I have to use a port that I have in my wall. When I plug my modem into the wall the VPN does not light on the modem, which I assume is because I have blocked access as we need to register all our devices using the MAC address. The modem I have is a Cisco 881. Is there any way to find the MAC address if not listed on the device itself?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Connect your modem to your existing router any free ethernet port. Then open a command prompt and type 'arp -a'

3. Pavlov8136

Pavlov8136 Thread Starter

I am working off an Apple laptop using Unix. Do you know what the equivalent would be?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

In Ubuntu Linux it also has the 'arp -a' syntax. Could be the same in Unix. If there is no '-a' parameter, there should be an 'arp' command still. '-a' means list all

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    arp or arp -all should be the command but having said that...

the Cisco 881 I am showing is a router, not modem.

Let's confirm you have connectivity by connecting your computer directly to the wall jack then going to the Apple > System Preferences > Network section, check what IP address you get. If you get any IP address (usually 192.168 number) then you should have access to the internet. If you get a 169.254 then there may be a problem with that port. If you get a status of Network Disconnected / Not Connected, then there is no connectivity.

If you do have access, then you will need to get with the owner of the service to see if they can allow your router to be connected and set up to have unfiltered access (like DMZ)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice