Router to Modem Connection.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Pavlov8136

For work I was given a modem, which they wanted me to hook up directly to my home internet. However, I live in a town home and do not have direct access to it. Instead I have to use a port that I have in my wall. When I plug my modem into the wall the VPN does not light on the modem, which I assume is because I have blocked access as we need to register all our devices using the MAC address. The modem I have is a Cisco 881. Is there any way to find the MAC address if not listed on the device itself?

Connect your modem to your existing router any free ethernet port. Then open a command prompt and type 'arp -a'

In Ubuntu Linux it also has the 'arp -a' syntax. Could be the same in Unix. If there is no '-a' parameter, there should be an 'arp' command still. '-a' means list all

Couriant

James
arp or arp -all should be the command but having said that...

the Cisco 881 I am showing is a router, not modem.

Let's confirm you have connectivity by connecting your computer directly to the wall jack then going to the Apple > System Preferences > Network section, check what IP address you get. If you get any IP address (usually 192.168 number) then you should have access to the internet. If you get a 169.254 then there may be a problem with that port. If you get a status of Network Disconnected / Not Connected, then there is no connectivity.

If you do have access, then you will need to get with the owner of the service to see if they can allow your router to be connected and set up to have unfiltered access (like DMZ)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online