Router transfer speeds

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mickday

My ISP has just increased connection speed from 4Mb/s to 10.

Connecting computer by ethernet cable directly from modem is giving me increased speed of around 9 - no complaints.

Connecting computer through wireless router either by ethernet cable or wirelessly gives me no increase in speed at all - still around 3.7.

Would be glad of any advice.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Start with the make/model, and firmware version running on the router please. Also, the exact make/model of the modem, and the ISP you use.

mickday

Router: PEAK Mlti-Function 802.11 b/g Wireless router
FCC ID: MQ4WR254 LAN: 00120E34A4D0 WAN 00120E34A4D1

Modem: ntl home Model No:08004EU

ISP: Virgin Media Cable connection 'L' 10 Mb/sec

Sorry, can't find any details of firmware version.
Any help?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
That router is a ZyXEL P-330W, I happen to have one I use as a WAP. In service as a WAP, it passes my full bandwidth of 15mbit. Since it is an inexpensive unit, it may be that the WAN/LAN routing processing power limits the throughput to the number you're seeing. The only real way to know is to try a different router.

FWIW, I have a ZyXEL NBG-415N on my system now, and it processes the full 15mbit bandwidth of my connection.

TerryNet

Terry
Login to your router to find the firmware version.

Look for a firmware upgrade. Then reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure. Either of those could jolt it into better performance.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I agree, can't believe I didn't recommend a firmware upgrade! :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online