1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router troubles

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Joannap, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joannap

Joannap Thread Starter

so, we have had new fibre optic installed. It’s been in a few weeks and no problems. The router while it didn’t have an amazing range worked for what we needed. It worked in my room which is where I work and downstairs.
    But yesterday we moved the sideboard it was on, pushed it back in and then the WiFi started to kick me off when I was in my room. The only thing different is that we pulled the sideboard in and out. I can’t see how that could have done anything. It still works, it just doesn’t have strong constant range.
    Can anyone help?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If really "The only thing different is that we pulled the sideboard in and out" I cannot help.

But maybe there is a difference that you haven't noticed. Maybe external antenna(s) loose or oriented differently. Maybe internal antenna(s) and the router is oriented differently. Maybe the router is not in the exact same place as before and now there is an obstacle between it and your room (actually the antenna of whatever wireless adapter you are using).

3. Joannap

Joannap Thread Starter

Hmmm, really nothing else has changed! In the same place, no new obstacles. No external antena, internal ones, well I don’t know about that. We’ve checked all the cables - all good. We even tried moving the router into the middle of the room, away from any other things and with a clearer path to my room and no difference! I can’t see what could have happened to it! Very frustrating.
    Thank you for your time.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is the router brand and model?

Is it yours or the ISP's?

Does the router give strong wireless signal and good service someplace other than your room? Someplace at an equivalent distance?

5. Joannap

Joannap Thread Starter

It’s the ISP’s router. It’s a sercom model 00200106 (I think...)
    No, in places it was just fine before, it no longer works. The range has been pretty much cut in half, for no apparent reason.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ask them to replace it or check it out.

7. Joannap

Joannap Thread Starter

We have done that today, thank you. It has got even worse! I’m having to sit right next to the blooming thing to be able to work
    Though better than not being able to work at all!
    Thanks again for your help.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

Let us know how you make out with the ISP.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice