1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router URL Blocking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stevelw, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stevelw

stevelw Thread Starter

Until now I have prevented access to MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger and ICQ on my wireless network by blocking access to the Login Server URL for these services. This has been very successful.

Can anyone tell me if this technique will continue to work on the new MSN 8 Live Messenger? If so, does anyone know the appropriate URLs? If not can anyone suggest another way to block this system from users of my network?

Thanks

2. jmwills

jmwills

Block outside users?? Filter access by MAC address and use strong encryption. The kiddies won't waste time with your system and will move on to anohter that can be easily hacked.

3. stevelw

stevelw Thread Starter

No that's already done. I am trying to prevent internal Network users from using chat/messenger systems either between themselves or with the outside world

4. jmwills

jmwills

Find out which Ports those programs use and block traffic on those ports.

5. stevelw

stevelw Thread Starter

I understand that Messenger uses dynamic ports - ir if the port it wants is blocked, it finds and uses one that isn't. That is why I have previously achieved what I want by blocking the urls of the login server for the service - this won't change.

What I am trying to find is the url that is used by the new MSN Live Messenger that corresponds to the "gateway.messenger.hotmail.com" used by the old Messenger system.

6. jmwills

jmwills

Here's a novel concept, just unistall Messenger or download the new one and see which URL it goes to then block it.

7. stevelw

stevelw Thread Starter

That would work fine for a web-based system. Unfortunately messenger is a stand-alone program that uses its own login screen that does not display details of the connections it is trying to make. As my Router does not maintain logs of addresses accessed I am unable see which URL is addressed.

Having installed the new software to test it, I have at least confirmed that the login does not use the same url as the original system, and that my existing filters will not therefore prevent internal network users from using Messenger

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    prehaps a long way but if you have a network scanner like Ethereal, prehaps you can trace the IP address and then do a DNS lookup on the name. Prehaps you can deny that?

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Just about any network monitoring software will help you out with this. There are plenty of free ones out there.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Ethereal is free... :D

11. stevelw

stevelw Thread Starter

Good idea. I've grabbed Ethereal and I'll give it a go this evening and see if I can get anywhere.

Thanks guys

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    (y) hope it helps :D

13. jmwills

jmwills

Windows Messenger can be uninstalled thru the Add/Remove Windows Components feature.

14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    lol tried that myself, and for some reason it is still there. I get the pop ups like new mail or someone comes online, even though I never started the service, nor the MSN Messenger too.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/465617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice