1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router w/ 98 & XP for DSL

Discussion in 'Networking' started by enigmatrice, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. enigmatrice

enigmatrice Thread Starter

i have a Network Everywhere router (wireless model, even though unnecessary) which i have used in my previous apartment, and it worked, and now i cannot get it to work with my new setup. Before it was XP to XP, now it's 98 to XP, does that make a difference? Also, it was cable internet before, whereas now the connection is DSL, it worked yesterday for a mere hour or so and this morning when i went to go online, it wasn't working. I'm not very familiar with the proceedures with 98 and I have a feeling that this is where my problem is. Can anyone please help me????

2. plucnik

plucnik

Did your DSL come with a setup disk? Cable is "plug it in and ready to go" but DSL usually needs to be set up. Home DSL also usually needs a login and password (unlike business DSL).

3. scutch2222

scutch2222

hmmm xp to 98 .... i have had my trials and tribulations with those to being together.... try making a xp network floppy... u can do that in my network places in xp in add a network place. then put that in the 98 machine. and yes look at the dsl first.

4. enigmatrice

enigmatrice Thread Starter

I have set up the page for the router with the password and username, and it still will not connect on the page.
    I can't find the cd that came with the router but i still have the quick install pamphlet thing that came with it (i swear my old roommates ate cds and waranties for fun)
    Oh well, i'll try the xp disk thing now, maybe that'll work

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You should not be using any of the DSL ISP software on machines attached to the broadband router. I'd reset the router to factory defaults, then enter the correct information on the WAN page for your account name and password with the ISP. Also, make sure you power cycle the DSL modem after having it connected to a PC, that may also be confusing the router.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

In the first post it was mentioned "Before it was XP to XP, now it's 98 to XP".
    What was XP to XP etc?

Typically:

1. You just connect the DSL/Cable modem to the WAN port on the router. Power cycle the DLS/Cable modem. Wait a minute or so.

2. The router is set up for DHCP. If you need to configure it for a login as in a previous post then do that as well. Most ISP's I recommend don't require this so it just depends on what you actually have. Since it was working, I assume you either know you had to configure something here or not. Then power cycle this after the DSL/Cable modem.

3. You set the workstations to get an IP address automatically.

4. Turn on the workstations.

Then run IPCONFIG on each workstation and see what IP addresses they get assigned. The main IP should have the same scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice