1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router WAN Problems, Wireless Adapter Card suspect, and the temporary solution

Discussion in 'Networking' started by deskclerk, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deskclerk

deskclerk Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I'm new to these forums but I have a multitude of questions I hope can be addressed, as I am also eager to learn exactly what is wrong and how exactly to go about fixing these problems -

There are three main pieces of equipment in question for these thread -
    D-LINK DIR-615 (Wireless N Router)
    ASUS WL-520GU (Wireless Print Server Router)
    TEW 643PI (Wireless Adapter Card)

So, the first problem I had was that I was losing connection from my router on my computer at regular intervals, say around every 10-20 minutes. The router is currently connected wired to one computer, which is in the room with the router, while the my computer, is connected to the router via my wireless card, which is not too far away in a separate room, say less than 50 feet.

I checked the log in the firmware which indicates that my computer is disconnecting with the wireless router error 8. I have no idea what that means, nor could I find online what that meant. I will have the exact text of that message when I return home.

The funny thing about this problem is that I thought the router's wireless was unstable and just dropping connection every once in a while. So, I purchased the WL-520GU and tried to connect it to my DSL modem, via PPPoE. However, using the original firmware, it gave me an odd error, saying that my IP of my router (the 520GU) wasn't assigned to the correct IP address, though the IP assigned in the firmware matched what I used to type into my browser to access it, and there were no conflicts with said IP (computer IP - 192.168.1.2 router - 192.168.1.1, mind you the computer I was using to interface to the 520GU was the computer in the room with the D-LINK router, which is my parents computer, via a wired connection.) I assumed somehow the firmware was acting up, so I flashed dd-wrt on it but to no avail, the WAN port seems to just not be functioning. I tried several solutions to enable the WAN port, but everytime I try to connect to my DSL via the WAN status in the dd-wrt firmware interface, it failed everytime telling that it was disabled.

I gave up on that, and then realized something else while using my first router (dlink). I run dual monitors, and when I started to lag out during online games due to a dropped wireless connection, I could immediately use the TRENDnet utility to instantly connect back to the router within 2 to 5 seconds and regain activity. In most of these instances, the game would resume normally as if I received a lag spike.

This is when I suspected that my wireless card was causing my problems - I looked up reviews online and many people have been experiencing the same problem. I'm going to use my laptop to connect to the wireless tonight and check the log to see if it really is the wireless card in my PC - which I highly suspect it is.

So, until I actually get my return order on this WL-520GU, and get a new network wireless card, I was thinking of trying to put my WL-520 to use. Would it be possible for me to connect to my WL-520GU and DIR-615 wirelessly, using the WL-520 GU as an extender of some sort, and plugging my PC into the 520GU wired in order to provide my PC with a stable connection?

I'm running XP on both machines, btw.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/847800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice