1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router with no modem,,

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Trayboy333, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trayboy333

Trayboy333 Thread Starter

Hey! Question, I currently can feed internet from my phone to my laptop through an app called "pdanet.+" I get full internet on the laptop no problems. Now,, can I hook a router straight to my laptop and send that internet signal to feed my TV?? I've never used a router before and everything is pointing towards a modem has to feed the router. There's no modem, internet is coming from my phone through a USB port. Thanks!

2. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Trayboy333 likes this.
  3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A high definition movie requires no more than 5 Mbps.

You're talking about the bandwidth of the cellular data, right? I believe that Trayboy333 hasn't yet told us what his bandwidth is. With most cellular plans the bigger problem is the bytes that can be downloaded per month before overcharges or other penalties begin.

4. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Yes. I did not take into account for Data Usage charges.

5. Trayboy333

Trayboy333 Thread Starter

Around 7mbps download, unlimited monthly, will the internet signal go from laptop to router without a modem connected to the Router? I've already been able to use the laptop as a mobile hotspot with the tv, it played fine. But I'd still like to know about the router. Truly amazing the length these companies go to to force you to pay them fifty to a hundred bucks a month.

6. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Once you have Internet Connection Sharing ( ICS ) Setup via the Laptop, you can use a Router. You would connect the WAN port of the Router to the Laptop. Depending upon the Make and Model of the Router, you can use the WiFi and LAN port(s) to connect other devices.

7. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    I use my smartphone as a hotspot sometimes. It works as both the router and the modem. Everything connects through it. Do you have that option on your phone?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Why you want to add a router to your network is a puzzle to me. But, yes, you can add a router.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice