1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router won’t connect to modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tmac4204, Dec 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tmac4204

tmac4204 Thread Starter

I have a problem with my route connecting to the modem/internet. The router is a dlink 890l modem is a Cisco 3008 cable modem. Right now I have a cheap dlink 605 or something and it connects fine. I can put the 890l out the Lan port of that router and will connect to that but at very slow speed. I’ve done a factory reset but the modem and still won’t communicate with it. I cloned the MAC address to my laptop that connects direct and also tried to clone the MAC address of the 605 still nothing. Anybody’s help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    So if you connect the Ethernet cable from the Cisco 3008 into the Internet port of the Dlink, restart both and then enter the setup by going to "Http://192.168.0.1" you can't see the router get any IP address on the Wan side?

Note that you may have to set your computers IP manually before accessing that link. To do so open up the properties of the network adapter, double click IP v.4, Enter a manual address. Such as "192.168.0.25" THe subnet mask should enter automatically.

Remember to check that DHCP is active in the router. If not, then activate it, and set your machines IP back to Obtain Automatically, also for the DNS.

3. tmac4204

tmac4204 Thread Starter

I can see and setup the router no problem. The problem is the modem won’t give the dlink an IP address. I’ve tried to restart the modem and the router. The router says it has a connection to the modem but no internet access.

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    DO you plug the modem into the WAN port or any of the LAN ports on the router?
    Can you call the ISp or whomever supplied you with the modem and ask them how to set it in Bridge Mode? Which really is what you want.
    Just for testing purposes. Have you tried to connect the modem directly into the computer? If you do that do you get an IP address? And if so what is it. If it's a public address then just show us the first quadrant in the address. If it get something like 192.168.xxx.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx then the modem has a DHCP server and you'll need to disable that in your router and also plug the modem into a LAN port, not the WAn/Internet port. But again, the best thing would be to set the modem in Bridge mode and let your router handle everything. If you could upload the manual for the modem it'd be a lot easier for me and anyone else to give you a definitive answer on how to proceed.

5. tmac4204

tmac4204 Thread Starter

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The Cisco dcp3008 is a cable modem. There is no such thing as a "bridged" modem. Bridge is a term that applies to routers.
    Go here
    https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-DPC3008/#product-features
    then here
    https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-DPC3008/#product-features
    Put the ethernet cable into the only ethernet port on the back (yellow) and attach the other end to a computer or a router.
    modem.jpg

The router will use the WAN port to connect to the dcp3008.

The modem doesn't give out IPs. That is the job of the router.

7. jvic

jvic

First Name:
    John
    When two NAT devices are connected in series (for instance a modem with built-in NAT capabilities is connected to a router which is also a NAT device), it is advisable to configure your modem in bridge mode to avoid conflicts.
    https://kb.netgear.com/000028987/When-to-put-modem-into-bridge-mode

8. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Sorry. But that is nonsense. Yes, for a modem only you can not bridge. But how often do you actually see a device that's a "pure" modem. And if it's the case here? THen he/she certainly should get some external IP when connecting directly to the modem. If that doesn't happen? Then it's one of three things or a combination thereof.

1. The modem is bad.
    2. The Nic in the computer is bad.
    3. THe cable is bad OR needs to be a crossover cable.

If you have any other items to add to that list? THen I'd certainly be happy to hear them.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There is a problem with the WAN section of the "dlink 890l" router. When connected directly to the modem it fails to get an IP configuration assigned. When daisy chained to the old router it manages to work but very slowly.

Or, the cable could be bad. But only if the cable has been used exclusively and only with the dlink 890l WAN.

I stated the above as fact to try to make it easier for you to find any flaw(s) in my reasoning.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    When it's a Cisco DCP3008... Cable modems all have some kind of interface but not what you are thinking of. There are other modems out there that is just a gateway, no router, i.e. Arris (formerly Motorola)
    modems: https://www.arris.com/surfboard/products/cable-modems/

According to the poster, they got an 170. address, which is a public IP address.

1. The modem is bad.
    That is not the case as other devices connected

2. The Nic in the computer is bad.
    Computer is fine when not connected other devices

3. THe cable is bad OR needs to be a crossover cable.
    Unlikely at this point.

If you have any other items to add to that list? THen I'd certainly be happy to hear them.

Contact the ISP and see if they can clear all CPEs listed in the modem (hopefully they have tools for that). Then with all devices powered down, after a minute power the modem. Then when the modem shows all 4 lights on solid (power, US, DS, Link/Online) connect the 890L router in the yellow (internet) port. Then connect a computer to the router via Ethernet and see if you can look at the WAN status page, which should have the IP Address similar to the one your computer got when it was connected.

If it's not getting an IP address and you confirm the Ethernet cord between modem and router is good/tried another cord then the 890L router is defective. A possible solution is to check for an updated firmware and install it if possible, but that is something you would do as last resort.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice