Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Router won't connect, no wifi (moved from Windows 8 forum)

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
Hello,

I really need help since I'm not computer savy. Yesterday, I stupidly decided to disconnect my modem and router because all the wires were a mess!! Well, now I'm not sure if I reconnected correctly, but I guess I did since I can get online but have no wifi. My router password is working, however, when I entered all the wireless/security stuff on the Linksys site it just keeps bringing back to the basic set up page . I hsve no idea what is wrong. Any ideas? My router is a Linksys N300.

Thanks so much! I spent about 8 hours yesterday trying to fix this. Losing my mind!

#2 ·
Might help to give us the actual model number of your Linksys router. The N300 refers to a type, not a model number. Wouldn't hurt to tell us the brand and model number of the modem.

Please tell us exactly how you have the computer, router and modem wired to each other, by referring to how the ports are named and labeled.

When you say, "I can get online but have no wifi", do you mean you your computer can get to the Internet only with a wired connection?

When you say the, "Linksys site", do you mean the web based administration pages on your Linksys router?

When you were changing the wireless and security settings, did you need to click a button the settings pages to actually save the settings.

Does your router show up in the list available WiFi connections on the Windows network connection list?

#3 ·
Linksys E1700. Please bare with me, not sure about ports, but I connected the router to my modem and also have an ethernet cable, which is how I'm getting online (only way I can get online). When I referred to the Linksys site I meant where you put your router # number in the address bar 192.168.1.1 It recognizec my network name and password and I just went through all the settings . I left the host name blank (don't know if that's important), Yes, I did have to save settings, which I did. The router is and when I click on it it say "connect automatically" and try it. It does not work and says "can't connect to the internet. Now, I may have something hooked up wrong, but if I did I wouldn't think I would be able to connect via an ethernet cable. I'm so confused and beyond frustrated. I'm not good with all these computer terms. Thanks so much for trying to help me. I tried watching many youtube videos with no luck. Oh, my modem is Surfboard SB6121. Thanks again! Sorry if I forgot something.

#4 ·
If you just pulled the plugs and power cords and then connected them all again, that might be part of the problem.
Generally you power up the modem first and when all the lights are solid green or flashing/solid yellow (look at the manual to see what is the correctly working state of all the lights) then you connect the router and wait while all the lights on it are solid or blinking.

So remove the router and wait at least one minute then reattach the power.

#5 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!! Yeah, I have blonde hair and got annoyed by the cords without paying attention on where they go, ect. Anyway, after 6 hours yesterday and 6 hours today I have it fixed-- thanks to you. It is greatly appreciated. Now, for a large glass of wine for all the stress I was under!!

#6 ·
I write notes on what I need to do and in what order. When the electric goes out (and for some strange reason it has been going out for under 1 minute about once a month) then my printer goes missing. It is connected to my router. So I've gone through a bit of what you did.

Make a note card while it is fresh in your mind so the next time something happens, grab the notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.