Router won't work with modem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

manish_42

Hi,

I have a Westell Versalink 327W DSL modem that I got from Verizon when I got DSL. It works fine, and is compatible with both my mac and pc, so if I want to connect on the other computer all I have to do is plug it in. I wanted to route the connection wirelessly to my PC, so I purchased a Linksys wireless-B router (I don't know what wireless-b means, by the way) which is compatible only with my PC. Now, when I follow the instructions, plugging in the ethernet cable from my modem to the internet port on the router, then plugging another cable into another port on the router and into my pc, nothing happens. I have no connection on my computer. How am I supposed to get this thing working wirelessly if I can't get it working wired? Is it some sort of router compatibility issue?

TerryNet

Terry
Do you connect to Verizon DSL via dynamic IP (Dhcp) or do you need some configuration? If the latter, have you configured the router?

Why didn't you just get a Wireless Access Point (WAP) instead of another router. JW has posted a number of times on how to add a second router to your LAN.

From the documentation (http://www.westell.com/content/sales/327W.pdf) the Westell Versalink 327W DSL modem is in fact a combined modem/router or gateway.

Search for one of JohnWill posts in this forum for the words "Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together" for a description how you can connect your two routers.

Wireless B is the wireless protocol (as opposed to the faster Wireless G commonly available. "The 802.11g specification is a standard for wireless local area networks (WLANs) that offers transmission over relatively short distances at up to 54 megabits per second (Mbps), compared with the 11 Mbps theoretical maximum with the earlier 802.11b standard." Words from http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid40_gci887370,00.html.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Or find it right here. :D

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

cwwozniak

Chuck
John,

The 327W manual shows the unit includes an 802.11b/g access point. I suspect the OP may be trying to use his new Linksys router as a wireless bridge to the 327W. No Crossover cable involved.

--
CW

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If he's attempting to use it as a wireless bridge, a whole new set of instructions apply. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online