1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router works but internet can't connect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MiniPeeps, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MiniPeeps

MiniPeeps Thread Starter

I've just got my first ever router from talktalk, DSL 2780 which works fine but I still can't connect to the internet. I called the helpline and they checked my broadband connection is working fine and all the cables are correctly connected. Then she got me to open Internet Explorer and type in 192.168.1.1 but it brought up a page saying that it couldn't be displayed and there was no internet connection, so she told me to make sure the Work Offline option wasn't ticked and did something else in Tools Internet Options and then typed those numbers again but it still didn't work. She said something about configuring it but wasn't much help and after being passed around for 2 hours I'm still no further along.
    At the moment I'm using my computer at work to get some proper help from someone who knows what to do. I really am stuck and would greatly appreciate help with this.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi MiniPeeps, and welcome to TSG.

When you say all of the cables are correctly connected, are you saying that you have a wired Ethernet connection between the computer and the modem/router? If so, then ...

1) Do any indicator lights on the router and the Ethernet port on the computer show you have a connection?

2) Do you have a network connection icon that looks like one computer behind another computer on the right hand side of the desktop task bar? Do the screens in the icon blink at all? What information do you get for both the General and Support tabs when you right click on the icon and select "Status"? If it is showing as disconnected ....

3) Right click on my "My Computer" and select "Manage". Select "Device Manager" in the left pane. Is any networking hardware showing a yellow or red warning symbol in the right pane?

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

5. MiniPeeps

MiniPeeps Thread Starter

Hiya, I have got an Ethernet connection from router to computer and have gone into Computer Management and Device Manager but there is a yellow warning symbol like an exclamation mark where it says Ethernet Controller.

6. MiniPeeps

MiniPeeps Thread Starter

I did that with no spaces, but next it brought up:

Windows IP Configuration

C:\Documents and Settings\MS>

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Double click on the icon and you should get a new box listing any problems with the controller. Let us know what they are.

EDIT: Also make sure that the "Device usage ..." is set to enable

You may need to re-install drivers for the controller.

Did you install any kind of software that that may have come on a disc with the talktalk hardware?

8. MiniPeeps

MiniPeeps Thread Starter

sorry I couldn't reply sooner, was using internet on my mobile but it died a death last night!
    When I clicked on the yellow symbol it brought up an error message saying the driver isn't installed. I can't find the disc that came with my computer and the disc from TalkTalk is only to install the router. I don't suppose its going to work is it? How do I reinstall the driver? Do I need to download it from someone else's computer or maybe from the internet on someone else's computer?

9. MiniPeeps

MiniPeeps Thread Starter

To be more precise it says The Drivers for this Device are not installed (error 28)

10. smdxc07

smdxc07

Looks like the TalkTalk install has done something to your NIC driver. What make/model of computer are you using and what Windows OS?
    You will have to obtain the drivers for your NIC and reinstall if you haven't got the disk that came with your computer.
    Post details here and we may be able to hunt them down for you. Serial number may also help.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes. Get it from your PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's site.

12. MiniPeeps

MiniPeeps Thread Starter

I'll give it a try after work using my sisters computer, I'll let you know if it works. Fingers crossed!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice