1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router Works, Internet Works but PC Won't Connect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AkiraSonBio, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AkiraSonBio

AkiraSonBio Thread Starter

Hello and hopefully someone can help me out.

I am running a Dell computer using Windows XP. A few days ago my mother-n-law got a virus on our computer by clicking on spam e-mails. I figured out how to get rid of the virus but I think I made something happen where the PC will not connect to the internet. I have it connected to a Netgear Router. Now the Router is fine. I can access the internet off of my laptop with no issues. When I try the PC I can't access the net. When I go to Control Panel - Network Connections - Local Area Connection - Support Tab my computer doesn't have an IP Address. I've tried getting into the Router using 192.168.1.1 but the computer won't let me. I'm not sure where to go from here. I've tried calling Tech Support but they couldn't help me. Hopefully you guys can help me out with this one.

Thank you for your time.

2. AkiraSonBio

I'm sure that there is something wrong with the PC now, I just have no idea what. I disconnected the Router just to make sure that was not the issue and plugged the Modem right into the PC. I got the same results, still can't get on the internet.

I really hope I didn't screw up something because of this virus :(

3. srhoades

srhoades

4. AkiraSonBio

Thank you for the link. I will try these methods when I get home from work today. Hopefully this will work.

5. AkiraSonBio

So I checked out the link and downloaded Microsoft Fix It. Didn't work so I tried to reset the TCP/IP manually. That didn't work either. Back to square one. I'm going to try to see if I can do some more research on this before I decide to take this as a loss. Thank you for the advice though.

Oh yeah, still no IP Address. It keeps reading as 0.0.0.0

One more note. I think I may know what is causing the issues. I've read that the DHCP Client has to be able to run in order for the internet to work but every time I try to start it I get this message:

Everything I've read about this sends me in the same direction, that I have to "destroy" the computer and start all over again. If that has to be done it shouldn't be that big of an issue. I hope that is not the case though.

6. srhoades

srhoades

One way around that is to give the computer a static IP.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice