Routers and Modems and Wifi

vickicoy

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20200901160441.000000-360
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 12, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 117 GB (66 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO LNVNB161216, ver SDK0J40700 WIN, s/n MP1RWTV8
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1, s/n MP1RWTV8
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Question Please:

I'm speech disabled and haven't been able to "call" anyone to ask my question. I sure hope I can find the answer here today?

I live in a Seniors Apartment Complex.

My apt building is very close to the main office building. I'd say my windows are about 20 feet from the office's Router and their Modem.

They allow us to use their wifi service and have given me the password and their Network ID.

I have been using their wifi for about 3 years.

About two months ago, my wifi was connecting, but could no longer use the actual Internet to browse the web. Actually, sometimes I can find back door ways to access the internet but not often.

When I "cut the ATT cable cord," two months ago, that's when the Internet stopped working for me.

However, when I turned in all of my ATT equipment, one of those items was a modem, from when I used to pay for Internet service from ATT, until I discovered that the office allowed us to use their wifi.

So my question: Is the removal of my personal modem the reason that I don't have Internet now? It was plugged in but as far as I knew, not being utilized. But maybe it really was being utilized by connecting somehow to the router in the office???

Do I have to have a modem in my own apt in order to have the Internet?

Or........should the wifi from the office give me the internet too since they have the modem there in the office?

The girl in the office has re-set the router over and over and that hasn't helped.

Thanks for any answers at all......

Vicki Coy, San Antonio Tx (see below)

Whenever I try to connect to a website this is the window that pops up every time...
1632756575400.png

TerryNet

Terry
So my question: Is the removal of my personal modem the reason that I don't have Internet now?
I can't answer that question because you apparently don't know if you were really getting internet access through it instead of through the main office's service.

Is that "Internet access temporarily suspended" message from when you are connected to the office's wireless network and no other network? If so, apparently their internet has been temporarily suspended.

vickicoy

I can't answer that question because you apparently don't know if you were really getting internet access through it instead of through the main office's service.

Is that "Internet access temporarily suspended" message from when you are connected to the office's wireless network and no other network? If so, apparently their internet has been temporarily suspended.

HI Terry, thanks for the quick repsonse!

I have only the Office's wifi service, no other one. They haven't lost access to their internet because they are doing business as usual there. The girl knows the page I keep getting and she doesn't understand "why," anymore than I do. They never receive that "suspended page," only I am.

Any ideas based on that?

Thanks again, Terry.

Vicki

vickicoy

HI Terry, thanks for the quick repsonse!

I have only the Office's wifi service, no other one. They haven't lost access to their internet because they are doing business as usual there. The girl knows the page I keep getting and she doesn't understand "why," anymore than I do. They never receive that "suspended page," only I am.

Any ideas based on that?

Thanks again, Terry.

Vicki
Terry, I just thought of something else.

"Should" I be able to receive internet thru the office's wifi since they have the router and the modem?

Does that make sense?

Vicki

TerryNet

Terry
The girl knows the page I keep getting and she doesn't understand "why," anymore than I do. They never receive that "suspended page," only I am.

Any ideas based on that?
No. Makes no sense to me.

Try connecting to another network to see if there is something peculiar to your computer. If it is a laptop you could take it to somewhere with free wireless, such as a restaurant, mall or library. Or a friend's house.

If it is a desktop maybe you or a friend has a cell phone and service that allows the phone to act as a wireless hot spot.

plodr

Liz
Find out what service the Office at your complex uses. If it is NOT AT&T, I suspect your computer is trying to get on using the old AT&T modem you returned and wasn't using the Office's internet at all.

vickicoy

No. Makes no sense to me.

Try connecting to another network to see if there is something peculiar to your computer. If it is a laptop you could take it to somewhere with free wireless, such as a restaurant, mall or library. Or a friend's house.

If it is a desktop maybe you or a friend has a cell phone and service that allows the phone to act as a wireless hot spot.
Thank you for helping me, Terry. I appreciate the advice and will try those options.

Vicki

One other thing to check. Go to Internet Options >> Connections >> LAN settings. Make sure there is no proxy set up. Normally, all three checkboxes should be cleared.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.