1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router's got me firewalled!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Crypty, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crypty

Crypty Thread Starter

my router has me firewalled, and im trying to either disable it or open port 6112(so i can host on b.net) but the problem is im not sure how. i tried finding out the maker/model of my router but all i could find was 4 port 10/100 mbps swich and compusa stamped across the top. i dont think i have the box/manual anymore either. i went to my router settings but couldnt find anything on opening ports. any help?
    another problem, once in a while my internet dies, and the only way it comes back up is if i cut the power to my router, wait 10 seconds and plug it back in. any idea on this?

3rd problem, my internet seems to slow down a LOT once in a while too, like slower than 56k. im on cable if it helps.

any help is appreciated
    thanks

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Well the make and model would help a lot. But look for something in your router config on Virtual Servers or Port Forwarding. This is where you will redirect everthing on port 6112 to the internal IP address of your PC.

If you knew the make and model there may be a firmware upgrade for it that may solve some of the issues you are having with it.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Open a command prompt on your system. Type: IPCONFIG /ALL

In the display, there will be a gateway IP address. Enter that IP address in the address field of Internet Explorer while connected to the router. This should take you to the configuration page. Look around, some information about the make/model should be in there somewhere. :)

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

By the way, if you are running XP, in order to 'see' that, you'll need to go to start, programs, accessories, command prompt....otherwise it flies by :eek:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!