1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Routers Rebooting Randomly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vvntr, Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vvntr

vvntr Thread Starter

So I've been having this issue for a little while now. My router would randomly reboot. My wired and wireless connections would disappear and reappear. It became so much of an issue that I replaced my router today.

Now here's the strange part. The new router is experiencing the same random drops. I don't know how to begin diagnosing this. It's not the modem dropping, because the networks disappear. If it were the modem causing the issue, the networks would stay up but not have internet connectivity.

Can someone please help me figure this out?

So far the only thing I've tried is plugging the router into a different power outlet.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'd say that you are on the right track. Not using a surge protector or power strip, right? And the different outlet is also on a different circuit?

3. vvntr

vvntr Thread Starter

I've had the router plugged in to a power strip/surge protector, and directly to the wall. No difference. I'm actually not sure if the two rooms are on the same breaker or not. I will investigate that today.

4. vvntr

vvntr Thread Starter

The two outlets I tried are in different rooms. The trouble is that I'm limited on where I can position the router due to my primary PC being wired in. I could possibly test the entire setup in a different room (We only have two coaxial connections in the house), but that wouldn't be a permanent solution as it's on the other side of the house and my PC can't go there.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Some other things to ponder or investigate ...

If necessary to test with a different circuit use an extension cord instead of moving the router. In my experience adjacent rooms are often on the same circuit. And some older or small apartments may be completely on one circuit.

Have a lamp turned on or a "sensitive" clock to show that power is lost or reduced (as opposed to a problem with only the router).

Anything (air conditioner, freezer, ...) that could cause the power to be briefly reduced enough to cause problems for the router even though power is not completely lost?

6. vvntr

vvntr Thread Starter

Okay, I've just daisy chained 3 extension cords so I could plug the thing into the living room.

7. vvntr

vvntr Thread Starter

...and it dropped within 5 minutes of coming online. I'm tearing my hair out trying to think of a solution.

8. vvntr

vvntr Thread Starter

Something I don't quite understand is why this is happening more frequently than before?

9. vvntr

vvntr Thread Starter

Alright, I've now moved the extension train to the bathroom. Round three?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you find the culprit the increase in frequency may be obvious.

I'm now assuming that you have no clue about how many circuits you have nor of what lights/appliances/outlets are on each.

11. vvntr

vvntr Thread Starter

Correct. We're renting a lower duplex, we have all the breakers for the house down here though, so I could systematically close and open them to see what's wired together. For the time being, I've removed the dedicated router from the network and enabled the router functionality of our modem. This should stabilize things while I continue to troubleshoot. At least I know it's not my old router causing the issues and we can return the new one.

12. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    It could also be the signal from your internet provider that is dropping.
    We had similar issues, but it was based on the weather.

One time, it was when the sun warmed up the cable (couple mile away) it would stretch and drop the signal. The cable had been kinked, this caused the drop when warmed up.

Next time, a control box would get water in it and it in turn dropped the signal, as the box warmed up and dried things out the signal came back.

So check with your provider.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A dropped signal from the ISP can cause a router to reboot?

14. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I'd think if the signal from the ISP dropped, the modem would also drop.

Another thing you can do: buy an UPS (uninterruptible power supply) and plug the router into it.

My current UPS has 7 protected plugs. I can plug in my modem, router, computer, monitor, printer and even a 2nd computer.
    We lost power for 8 hours. I safely turned off the computer, monitor and printer. I was able to run my laptop from the UPS and the laptop's battery for over 3 hours.

15. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I do not know what a Router reboot is other than power off and then on.
    But many times people refer to rebooting any time a router goes looking for the lost signal, and does not loose power.

Is OP's router really loosing power and then coming back on, just loosing the signal?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice