1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SBruce, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SBruce

SBruce Thread Starter

I'm using a desk-top pc. I want to get a router. What should I get in the way of "wired or wireless". I use a dsl connection. What is the best way to go? What speed or type should I be looking for? Are there any hidden items I should know about Pro or con etc. What is G or N type? Does a wired router need password protection like wireless does?
    Bruce

2. dannyn

dannyn

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you're only connecting one computer to the Internet, why do you need a router at all? Do you plan to move the computer far away from the modem and future router that you're looking for a wireless connection?

802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n are wireless networking protocols. They only apply in the case of wireless connections. Before going into details, perhaps you should describe what you really want to do with your connection.

4. dannyn

dannyn

i think he just used the terminology wrong... because he was asking about g and n type so i think he wanted wireless internet.

5. SBruce

SBruce Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. I just want a router as an added security facility. Something that is sort of a stop-gap between the line and my PC. Really I guess i'm just looking for extra security.
    Bruce

6. JasonBennett

JasonBennett Banned

Just spend the money on a decent firewall/anti-virus and you'll be fine.

7. dannyn

dannyn

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833339001
    heres a wired one that i know for a fact is very secure.. i installed one in my denists office and it works great and he loves it.
    it has very good filtering options... but i think if this is just for home use i would just stick with the antivirus software... but if yuo want a real secure option then you may cehck this out as norton 360 is 100$ and you will have to buy a new copy as this one will exprie where if you buy a wired one you can use it for as long as you want jsut updating the software.

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

Sorry if I missed something.If you have a dsl modem,quite a few of the models that your ISP might provide are combo router/modems.
    Check the make and model of your modem,just to be sure.

9. SBruce

SBruce Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. I 'm just looking for extra security without the constant fuss of Norton, McAfee etc. I think I will get a wired DLink unit and see what happens. I'll call this item closed.
    Bruce

10. pedroguy

pedroguy

Think that is a good way to go.But,you still should know whether or not your modem is a combo.
    If so,you may have to make some changes to the router config and if it is,then maybe you are good without an additional router,unless you want to go wireless in the future.
    As noted above,a good software firewall,good anti virus and anti spyware,with a router(hardware firewall),should give you plenty of security.

Here is a site that can test your ports for security.

www.grc.com

11. SBruce

SBruce Thread Starter

Thanks PEDROGUY for your interest. I am using a SIEMENS SpeedStream 4200 ethernet/usb ADSL Modem. It does not have a router as part of its makeup from any information that I can find about it..I also ran the tests at the site you suggested and my connection appears to be good.
    Bruce

12. pedroguy

pedroguy

Thanks Bruce.That is good info.

Happy networking.

13. jackdw

jackdw

What use is that if he want's a router? 'Decent' firewall/AV's don't come with a free router...

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice