1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RPC Error 5: Access Denied; various services not starting.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kissu, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kissu

Kissu Thread Starter

All right, so, this problem began yesterday when my dear computer froze while I was attempting to log in to my Windows account.

I, always the foolish one, decided to turn the poor dear off by hitting the power button. I left it alone for a while, and when I came back and it had been turned on and logged in, the taskbar was missing, which I normally attribute to explorer.exe screwing up, but the desktop icons were showing and explorer seemed to be running. I then opened Firefox, went to a school site, clicked on a .doc file, and opened it. Microsoft Word greeted me with:

"This document could not be registered. It will not be possible to create links from other documents to this document. (C:\DOCUME~1\...\[filename].doc)"

It goes on to work normally, and I can save the document (its first choice is the Temp folder), so...yeah.

I got a briefing on the problems today.

When it was last turned on, a message came on screen involving the words "Invalid security ID"; I don't know exactly what it said, but it did SOMETHING (please don't blame me for the vagueness, I got this information secondhand) that took a long time. I don't know WHAT, but yeah. My mother also tried something that gave her "five seconds to press a key" but no one bothered to write down the message as her boyfriend wasn't there.

Basically, now:

* Taskbar is screwed up, all blue. There are only two things in the systray: Microsoft Office icon because I still have word running, and a SoundMax icon, separated from the Office one by a weird space. Quicklaunch looks a little weird to me.

* Start menu has reverted from a "normal" bubbly-fisher-price-ish (Once again, sorry for vague descriptions) look to a more professional, business-like look with Windows XP Professional running up the side.

* I cannot paste, there is no sound at all (Windows Audio is not started), and people cannot print (Print Spooler is not started either). Trying to start either of them results in a message saying they failed to start (duh). Also, the winkey will not bring up the start menu.

* RPC service is not started either, and trying to start it results in an "Error 5: Access Denied" message, which people seem to attribute to malconfigured security policies but I have NO idea how to fix things here. This is territory a bit over my head.

Computer is running Windows XP Professional, service pack 3. It's rather new and I've not messed around with it much due to people fearing I'll screw it up. (Not a word about confirmation of their fears; they're the ones who make life a nightmare trying to clean up after Smiley Central and such). We really can't afford to format right now as we have no installation or rescue disc, the computer is "secondhand" (it had been wiped clean before handing off to us, so). I /really/ need this computer for school stuff, extracurricular stuff, and conservation of my own sanity.

Please. I need help.

EDIT: Also, just a note: I am currently logged in as an administrator. If I try to log in to my account, a normal user, it goes through the whole logging-in process (a bit of text under the username, I never really payed attention), my desktop background flashes up for a TINY fraction of a second, and then it automatically logs off. I have NO idea.

EDIT: Um, yeah computer just turned itself off. Not rebooted, turned off. So...help. please.

2. Kissu

Kissu Thread Starter

Bump.

3. Kissu

Kissu Thread Starter

Again, bump. Please, help?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice