1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RPC server not available

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rumi, Jun 12, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

Hi and thanks in advance,

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 540 @ 2.53GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3890 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1721 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 117 GB (25 GB Free); E: 1 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 172A
    Antivirus: None

I'm not that great at shutting down my laptop every time, and sometimes when I come back to it the fingerprint reader is not recognised and I have to enter a password and enter without biometric functions.

Even more sometimes there is no opportunity to enter a password, I get a message "RPC server is not available" and I'm effectively locked out.

Its not a big deal, I can just force a shutdown with the off button and it will reboot just fine. My previous IE session can be restored ok, but I need to renter passwords for email accounts.

However, I wonder why this is happening and whether it is a symptom of worse to come ??
    Should I shut down every time? Any good ideas ??

Thanks again

Rumi

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  3. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

Hi tx for reply,

the link seems to be aimed at windows 10, but looking in task manager, both the RPC and DCOM services are set to automatic. However they both say "started" rather than "running". I'm assuming this is the same thing ??

In any case, I can't find any way to do anything to these services other than stop them, which doesn't seem like a good idea.

After that the link goes on to talk about messing with the registry. I don't think I'm at that stage yet.

????
    Rumi

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    All my searches point to this error with a printer. I haven't found anything with a fingerprint reader.

Since the services are set to automatic, we can rule out a problem with that.

What are the power settings for your laptop? Perhaps something there can be tweaked.

5. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    I think you're getting close there, Liz. My first thought was that the fingerprint reader may be going to sleep. There should be a setting to prevent the system from controlling the power settings for this device.

6. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

upload_2019-6-14_17-16-23.png

These are the power settings I have chosen a "balanced" option

7. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

However it is interesting you mention printers. As I have strange problems with my wireless printer.
    I thought it was some conflict between the internet provider router and a TV service router that we have installed as the printer seems to work better when the TV router is switched off. I get strange things happen like the first pages of a print job work fine, then it just goes dead or prints one line every 3 or 4 minutes. Then it cancels itself and next time you log in it will print the job again from the beginning. Most times works fine, sometimes won't print at all. I haven't been able to establish a definite cause.

8. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Maybe you can find something under "Change advanced power settings". There should be a setting somewhere that will let you change whether the PC can put certain devices to sleep.

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I looked in my advanced settings. I don't have a fingerprint sensor. My setting is don't require a password on waking up.

My sleep settings are also a lot higher than yours. My sleep is set to: 1 hour on battery and 3 hours when plugged in.

Check the first item here
    https://windowsreport.com/fix-fingerprint-reader-not-working-sleep-windows-10/
    I know it says Windows 10 but you can check this in Device Manager the same way in Windows 7.

10. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

in "change advanced power settings" it requires a password on wake up for both battery and wake up.
    Usually fingerprint is ok sometimes not. I would like to keep this secure.

It will turn off the hard disk after 30 mins on battery but never when plugged in ??

It never hibernates, wake timers are disabled, hybrid sleep is off for both batt and plug

Lid close put PC to sleep for both, as does power button.

ohhh it is set to hibernate on critical battery level of 5% Sleeps on low battery of 10%

I usually left it plugged in as battery was nearly dead, recently got a new battery and using laptop more portably recently, but the pattern of RPC error hasn't changed.

Can't really find anything that sleeps devices (except hard drive) and no mention of fingerprint reader.

11. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

Plodr, following advice in the link you posted,

in device manager, the biometric device (validity sensor), has status = working properly and power managemnt has 2 settings - allow comp to turn off and wake this device, both are unchecked. (see prtscr)

Windows determined my device driver is up to date.

I stopped and restarted the credentials manager, nothing exploded ??

upload_2019-6-15_0-48-59.png

12. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

I'm up to the part where its suggesting I disable and re-enable the fingerprint reader.

At this point I feel I should mention another anomaly.

On my login screen I have 2 fingerprint reader icons, I have no idea why as there is only one device listed in device manager. For a long time I have wanted to find out which was the correct one and get rid of the other one but have no idea how to access login screen icons ??

Attached Files:

13. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Sorry I am clueless because I don't own any device with a fingerprint reader.
    Make a restore point, do the change then see if it is correct. If not, restore to the point in time before you changed it.

14. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

sorry, do which change ?

15. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You said you have two and you want to remove one.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!