rpms and urpmi on mandrake 10....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

oldunion

i am installing aim for linux on my mandrake 10 because im tired of Kopete kicking me off, so i have an aim .rpm file ready to go.

if i double click on it, i have the option to install or save file, so i tried install and my cd tray popped out and was asking for cd4. So maybe i didnt get all the packages i needed?

also, urpmi doesnt do anything on the command line.

so basically im asking how to install .rpm files on mandrake 10.

Follow all instructions on this page.

Especially this:

"Also, you might want to type urpmi.removemedia -a first, in order to reinitialize urpmi's setup."

As root, of course.

prunejuice said:
Are you doing this as root?
Type this in a console as root

If you get an error, please check that the mirror is accessible and not over it's connection limit.
Also, you might want to type urpmi.removemedia -a first, in order to reinitialize urpmi's setup.

I ask him if he's root because "command not found" comes up when you do a
urpmi without being root.

oldunion

oh yes i was being stupid, i am getting somewhere while in root at the terminal, but not too far.... if i type urpmi aim, i get some options but utilizing these options brings up a message such as "insert cd1" and double clicking on a file icon still gives the same cd4 request.

following the directions on that website seems to have worked out, although im not sure what that even did....?

prunejuice said:
I ask him if he's root because "command not found" comes up when you do a
urpmi without being root.
Yeah, I know.
I was just pointing out that it also says that at the easy urpmi site. Was'nt trying to say any more than that.:)
lynch

oldunion

i think i got it now. question though, when it installs these rpm files, where is the install directory? can you control what it is?

but i got gaim to work :cool:

Look in /opt, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin for most stuff you install.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online