1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RS232 data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Andywlz, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Andywlz

Andywlz Thread Starter

Anyone know what software is best to use to enable me to view the data coming into my RS232 port from external scientific equipment?...ie an anemometer!....I need to view the raw data to check why I do not get the correct readings from the equipment and been told I should do a port scan...bit too techy for me! :confused: :(

2. tsunam

tsunam

you could always pop open hyperterminal on the console port. You should see the raw data over it. Just make sure you use the correct baud rate, otherwise you'll get nothing.

3. Andywlz

Andywlz Thread Starter

thanks for that but ..hyperterminal on the console port?...still confused ! Cheers anyway. The reason I need to see the data coming in is so that a software developer can work out how to display that data correctly on the pc for me. He wants me to email him the results of a port scan:(

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Here's one: http://www.taltech.com/freesoftware/fs_sw.htm
    ComFile 30 day evaluation version
    Download Now (1.5 MB setup file for Windows)
    COMFile allows you to easily log RS-232 Serial data from any number of serial ports directly to disk files. Visit the ComFile Product Page for more information.

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

6. Andywlz

Andywlz Thread Starter

Thanks for that ...downloaded it but after clicking on 'connect' nothing is showing in the main window to view and therefore nothing to save to file....Unless its a settings issue...
    I only want to collect enough data so I can save it to file then pass it on to the software developer to enable him to adjust so that his display software becomes compatible with my equipment! Cheers.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I use a serial line analyzer to do this trick, but I suppose you don't want to spend a few grand for one of those. :D

For slightly less money (free), you might check out this Serial Port Capture utility.

8. Andywlz

Andywlz Thread Starter

Thanks John...unfortunately that link to s port mon is for Windows 2k up...and Im on 98SE!...Thanks for helpin tho, Im still stuck! ;-( .... Percy veering should be my new name!
    All this is to find out wot my weather equipment on a mast is telling its data logger!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice