1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RS232 vs. Parallel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JohnJ, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnJ

JohnJ Thread Starter

While working on a larger problem I found I was not quite sure of the port and cableling names. Is DB-25 RS232 the same as a Parallel port? Also, What is RS422 and RS485.

I know that DB-9 is RS232 and a serial port, so I assume that DB-25 RS232 is simiar to a serial port but I think I may be getting it mixed up with a standard Parallel port as well.

I had found one site but it was too technical for what I need to know. I just want to know an example of it's purpose and what type of connecter they use.

If someone could straighten me out on all this it would help me a lot.

[in case your wondering about the larger problem...it involves Punch Press machines, controls, and a BTR board. It seems most BTR's use a serial (DB9 RS232 connection) but ours uses what I am calling the parallel port]

2. Gibble

Gibble

If I undertand correctly.

DB-25 is the type of cable/connector (25 pins) and has both male and female connectors. DB-9 is similar but with 9 pins.

RS232, 422, and 485 are the protocol being sent over that cable...

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, if you are looking at a computer that has both DB-9 and DB-25 connectors, there's an easy way to determine if they're serial or parallel ports. Serial ports are male connectors on the PC chassis, parallel ports are female connectors. Obviously, the mating cable has the opposite gender to connect to the machine. :)

5. JohnJ

JohnJ Thread Starter

Ok. All that helps! Turns out I was correct in my thinking. The websites helped a little too.

[it is the parallel port and not an RS232 port]

Thank you

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice