1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rs232

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ingeborgdot, Jun 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot Thread Starter

I am planning on building a small form factor PC but it will need RS232. I don't know for sure if there will be room for an add on card for the RS232. Is there a usb to RS232? If so, will it work as good as an add on card?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Usb to RS232 adapters/cables are common (on Ebay) and I assume they work well but I have never used one myself.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    They are indeed quite common and generally work well. Most online computer retailers carry them. There's also some that do COM port retention if that is crucial to you, all port settings are retained in the event that the adapter gets unplugged or plugged into another port. Generally I've used Startech branded ones.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

The only thing you need to be careful about is power requirements. Serial ports will supply more power than USB.
    Also if the device is analogue rather than digital the mapping may be difficult.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1150375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice