1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rscmpt.exe

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vbplayer, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vbplayer

vbplayer Thread Starter

Hey all, I had a quick question and seeing if anyone could explain it to me. I just recently purchased a computer from a computer warehouse liquidation sale, I'm sure it was cheap parts put together in a cheap way, but i figured I could take care of anything that needed to be fixed. Anyway I have installed Win 2000 on it. And now whenever I go into my task manager I get a process taking up anywhere from 50-80% of my CPU time. Its obviously rscmpt.exe. Now i did a little research into it and found that it has to do with my GeForce 2 card. Something to do with doubleing the ram? Instead of 64 mb on my card it only has 32 mb with a program to double it. This sounded a little farfetched, but I guess I don't have much choice but to believe it.

I was just wondering if anyone had any information on why its running, why its taking up so much of my CPU, if I could turn it down to a resonable percent of my usage, or if i should just go out and buy a new video card.

In case you want them, specs on my computer are Pentium 4 1.8 GH 256 DDRam and the geforce 2 AGP i believe. Any other info or help would be greatly appreciated, but no hurry also.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

I would replace the card.....looks like that program is just what you said...a memory emulator to give the card more ram.

here is a link discussing it.

http://www.guru3d.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43121

the only solutions I could find are to rename the file (which cuts your video memory in half) or get a new card.

EDIT:

Just a followup....

I happened to have a Geforce2 MX400 64MB w/tv out laying around. I stuck it in one of my machines (AMD XP 1600 running XP Pro with 1GB Ram) and that file doesnt run and dx reports me having 64 mb ram. so it may be manufacturer specific.

3. vbplayer

vbplayer Thread Starter

do you think it would matter if i upgraded to XP?

4. rugrat

rugrat

5. Jtoast

Jtoast

Saw a few reference to the problem with xp home users but none from xp professional users. still not sure if that is a file installed by nvidia or the manf .......but a search of my hd didnt find it after i installed the card.

6. vbplayer

vbplayer Thread Starter

Okay, well after reading all the posts out there, looks like I bought a vc with 36 MB on it, so if i want more i will have to go get more. I think if I do upgrade it will just get rid of the rscmpt.exe problem and not give me back the memory i thought I got. Welp, thats what I get for going cheap. Thanks for all your help.

7. Jtoast

Jtoast

Well, It's too bad we didn't find a fix but I am glad we managed to shed some light on the problem.

Thanks for giving us a shot at it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice