1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RT2500 Wireless Card Losing Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Anchoret, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anchoret

Anchoret Thread Starter

This is an extremely odd problem that takes a little clarity to even describe...I'll try my best:

OK, I have a new notebook with an internal PCI Ralink RT2500 wireless card which is accessing my home network and the broadband modem through a Zyxel P-330W wireless router. Everything works normally and I can access the Internet and perform various functions simultaneously or individually. At some totally unpredictable point, I lose the ability to make new connections to the Internet until I reboot...but the wireless connection to the router is fine and any ongoing links to the Internet continue OK.

That's the crazy part -- I can be downloading streaming audio and it will continue indefinitely, but I cannot access websites with the browser or connect to the mail servers or anything else. If I stop the streaming audio, I can't reconnect. I've lost the ability to negotiate new connections with the Internet until I reboot. I can access the router menu OK, just not the Internet.

Any thoughts on this? I seem to have read complaints about this behavior with this card, but I am not sure it's the same problem. I have updated the drivers without any improvement.

As always, thanks for any help!

2. Sponsor

3. Spop

Spop

I have been hearing alot of things about that card's manufacturer too and they have not been good. Did you download the drivers under the name packard bell?

4. Anchoret

Anchoret Thread Starter

No, I just downloaded them from the Ralink site.

I don't know what this is about, but it sure is strange.:confused:

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it's an integrated card you should try to get a driver from your notebook's manufacturer. The driver from the card's manufacturer is not necessarily correct for your computer.

6. Anchoret

Anchoret Thread Starter

It's a PCI notebook card that came OEM. The drivers originally in it were the standard Ralink ones prior to the current release, and were in fact newer than the ones currently on the ECS download site. Upgrading them helped the problem and made the device work better, but did not totally eliminate this peculiar and frustrating problem.

Signal strength and S/N ratio are excellent, it's just that this thing still happens, apparently irrespective of connect "health.":confused:

7. Anchoret

Anchoret Thread Starter

Well, the joke's on me -- this is apparently unrelated to the Ralink card. I had it turned off tonight to do some experimenting with a ZyDAS 1211 USB unit and eventually it did the identical thing!

Best guess at this point is some sort of a DNS failure.:confused:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/439219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice