1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RTM install hangs with black screen + cursor...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TRS-80 vet, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed Thread Starter

It installed in another machine in a virtual environment, no problem.

In this machine, it installed, then re-booted itself (to complete setup?), I selected W7, and after 'Starting Windows', it goes black, with a cursor.

No rt-click, no Ctrl+Alt+Del, no Shift+F10, nothing lights up.

Ideas here?

2. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed Thread Starter

So I turned on my Sony TV in the other room, and Windows was using that as display #1. The monitor (#2) was not configured, so was not displaying.

On the Sony, I found 700 instances of Admin CLI boxes open. This machine is not online.

I have seen on the same machine, with Linux booted, dialogue boxes, such as for naming a file or folder, filling up with 1's. Once, it was in a command line window, and when I closed the window, a desktop file started adding 1's to the file name.

Could this be a BIOS virus??? BIOS bug?

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It's probably worth trying a clean reinstall with minimal hardware complications - especially the television and add those in after the system is stable.

By the way, I also started out using TRS-80 on a Tandy TRS 1000 (I think) PC. A few years on I also chose to buy a Betamax video recorder. I reckon the Eighties just weren't my decade! :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice